hunting land, definition..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Raindancer, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

What defines "hunting" land from general raw acerage that might be for sale? When I see "for sale/hunting land", what's that telling me? Most often those listings are for a more affordable amounts of $ per large acerage. What am I missing?!

Thanks to all, and hoping your Spring is either here or near !!! :)
    Dee

2. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Around here "hunting land" means land that for whatever reason is not practicle to develop as residential, and is not farmable with modern machinery. Usually a combination of small fields and woods with poor drainage.

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

About the same here, some combination of poor ground, steep hills, poor drainage, swampland, shallow soils, and often mixed in with no/poor road access.

4. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Guess I built my house on hunting land then.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Thats where I built mine!! :haha:

big rockpile

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Here in MN, "hunting land" means it can't be used for anything else, not even pasture. It's usually willow swamp, peat bog, or other wetland that's of use to ducks and moose.
    Around here, hunting land sells for more than good ag land and it's sold to city people who don't know much about deer hunting.

7. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Around here hunting land is land that has never been timbered/cleared and most usually it's a hillside.

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We always get a laugh reading real estate ads - the line
    "great hunting and fishing" is so certain to be there that we've concluded:

NY definition of Hunting Land-
    Any parcel of land large enough to shoot a gun on.

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I went and looked at 40 acres of hunting land one time,guy was going to put me a road in to it.If I would have kept my mouth shut I would have been ok,because there would not have been nothing he could have legaly done.But before we signed the deal I said something about building a house :confused: He says oh I can't have nobody living back there :grump:

big rockpile

10. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here, "hunting land" is not an official title. It's either Residential or Agriculture. There was once a timber cutover designation, but that's all been put into residential now. "Hunting land" is a way of selling acreage to city people. It could be in beans, or forest. Since the deer are quite plentiful, anything is really hunting land as long as it's not in a town.

11. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was just curious, as I sometimes see in our MLS listings under the catagory of "vacant land" that that catagory is further broken down into types of vacant land...acerage, commercial lots, residential lots, farms, timber and hunting. I was never sure whether "hunting" land wasn't any good for anything else or for building, living or growing on, or if it was actually good land but never improved upon in any way, maybe hard to access and out in the middle of nowhere that perhaps hunter's might find appealing.
    It's been interesting to read everyone's definition!

Dee

12. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

When we were looking 'hunting land' usually meant you'd have a hard time finding it with a GPS'.