Hunting for "real men" (Straight Razor Shavers)

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by jukebox, Jul 24, 2005.

1. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

Is there anyone on this list that uses a straight razor? I have been playing with one for some time now but don't feel comfortable as of yet. Have had some "bloodletting" and a nicked finger but no trips to the emergency room.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well i dont use much of any kind of razor but i think if i were to use a stright razor it might be bad for my health

3. jukebox

Let's give one of those razors a try on you. Who knows your "honey woman" might be doing -double back flips- over her new man. Give it a shot and let me know what happens.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Real men use blow torches........or at least propane lighters as we did in USMC boot camp.

5. americanbulldog

americanbulldog American Hunter

The thing is that real men don't shave. :nono:
    We all look like Mt.Man. :)

6. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I shaved with one for several years. Keep the skin streched tight and the razor sharp .... very sharp, and you'll do just fine. Mine got dull and the barber who kept it sharp retired. Mack3 are good, but very high priced.

7. jukebox

If "mtman" were to give it a try his new name would be "new man". No tellin what's been hidden under all that growth all these years. Virginia to arkansas to hollywood????

8. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I got one but no way is that thing getting close to my neck or face. :nana:

In a barber's hands maybe not too bad, looking in a mirror, no way. :help:

Ain't shaving with no blow torch either. There are some things a sane fellow just don't try at home, alone or not. :D

Now putting that straight razor next to the other fellow's body parts might be one way to get his heart and mind to follow in a good discussion. Triple track with lots of lubricants and a slick Babe hanging on you like on TV, that is the way to attack them fuzzies growing on the chin. :rock:

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Yes, of course. :cool: :cowboy:

Actually, it's a poor man's version - it uses a half of the old safety-razor blades, broken along its length through the centre holes. Fits in a frame that mimics a straight-rasor blade. Means a very fine "razor edge" that stays sharp for some time, then you just swap it for the other half of the razor blade. Works well for trimming around the moustache - particularly just under the nose. I have shaved with it a few times. Gives a good close shave, but it is easy to cut or nick the face.

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i did take it off about 6 months ago my beard grows very fast you can see from our last ar. pics not as long as my little pic but its close to it now

11. jukebox

mtman Went and looked at the pictures and you had trimmed it down.

Found that "leach field" interesting. Built 20 years ago and we are still picking up gravel. Had to go into the tank some time ago and it was easy to find by driving rods into the ground. Man wanted to check out distribution box while he was here. It was a major job to locate it. Take some of your pictures and put "dimensions" right on the pictures, where the box is, and tuck them away.

Happy shaving

12. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i allready have a print drawn up and pics will be easy to locate

and thats not trimed its growing back i took it all off is much longer now

13. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I have never tried it, but a barber friend said, in barber school many years ago, they would cover a filled baloon with shaving cream and shave the baloon. When you could fully shave the baloon without popping it you were ready to try a face.

14. IwannaFarm

IwannaFarm Well-Known Member

My DH says he's always wanted to try, but the price of a straight razor is so high he doesn't want to buy one if he won't like it....and afraid the kids will find/play w/ it.

15. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I've only scraped my face once in the past 32 years and that was once 27 years ago. Folks used to tell me I ought to shave and look more like a real man, but I always thought that only girls and women had bare faces.

Great-Great-Grandfather Hezekiah Narvel Golden Parks never shaved from the time he could grow his red beard and when he died in his late eighties his children shaved him; something about him looking his best when he met God.

Grandpa MacEanruig and my Daddy couldn't grow a beard just a thin red mustache; too much Indian blood from when the MacEanruigs first came to the colonies where they then lived and married among Indians until well after the War of Northern Aggression. Uncle John only had two (2) hairs on his face, and most of my uncles can't grow much more than the odd hair on their faces.

The razor companies have not done a booming business with the MacEanruigs, and didn't do too well with the older members of the Parks family.

16. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I can vouch for that! Sometimes he shaves down to a mustache and a tight little goatee, where he shaves the little middle thing out. He's had every beard imaginable. But, his favorite look would definitely be to look like ZZ TOP, if he could... I'm sure of it!

17. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

I always imagined how hard it would be to shave with a straight razor everyday if you had bad allergies, never sure when you would sneeze and give yourself a quick and nasty nose job.

Actually, I have a collection of antique straight razors that I have bought from estate sales over the years. Some are very ornate and artfully engraved. I use the really nice ones for letter openers. I dont have the nerve to put it to my throat after seeing how sharp they really are.

I have had a straight razor shave, from a real old time barber, at a very nice old fancy hotel in Chicago. The barber had been there his whole life and he was an old man, taking the job from his dad and his grandfather before that. It came with the hot towels with witchhazel and all. It was great.

Donovan

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I have a straight razor, a strop, and a whole collection of brushes but...nah...I shaved all but the moustache and a "Doc Holiday" many years ago and immediately started growing it back. Tan face, white cheeks.

Besides, my Wind in Her Hair would run me off- she LOVES my whiskers!

19. jukebox

Iwannafarm

Your DH is correct about the $$$. Razor hone $100---Strop $45.00. Bought 2 used razors from someone that shaves with a straight. The razors came shave ready so I had something to go-by. $70.00 My normal shaves are done with a Gillette double edge from the 40's so I had the shaving creams and brush. (Practice runs are done at night when it is quiet and time is not a problem.)
    I have my dad's shaving stuff but I didn't want to trash it out. Can remember him shaving but who would have ever thought I would be working at it.

20. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

I used to use a straight razor for shaving years ago, but finally gave it up, as it was a chore to keep it really sharp. With the cost of razor blades being what they are - maybe its time to dig it up. As expressed above, the really good ones cost an arm and a leg - Wade Garrett catalog has a couple for sale, as well as the accessories needed.

I only learned last year that you don't need 'shaving cream' to lubricate your face to shave - ordinary soap (I use liquid antiseptic soap) is plenty soft for that purpose, and a bottle lasts much longer than a can of shaving cream.

One less thing to buy, and soap now does double duty.