Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, it looks like the Yeti 350 goes for $1200, which is crazy. I just remembered too that Yeti back stabbed the NRA.

Anybody care to recommend a durable big ice cooler that can bounce around in the back of a UTV or pickup and hold a cleaned and quartered wild pig of about 250 lbs? (weight when shot)

A guy on goolagtube put up a vid where he shot his Yeti in protest. He recommends RTIC coolers. Anybody here using an RTIC?

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Howdy, it looks like the Yeti 350 goes for $1200, which is crazy. I just remembered too that Yeti back stabbed the NRA.

Anybody care to recommend a durable big ice cooler that can bounce around in the back of a UTV or pickup and hold a cleaned and quartered wild pig of about 250 lbs? (weight when shot)

A guy on goolagtube put up a vid where he shot his Yeti in protest. He recommends RTIC coolers. Anybody here using an RTIC?
Rtic is awesome. I have tested them (not a pro tester tho) with Yeti's and they have been shown to me to perform better. From the tumblers to the coolers they have shown me the RTIC holds ice better than Yeti. I wont buy anything else.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m seeing a lot of yeti clones
I think even Colman has some.
Try Walmart or rural king.
Heck if you buy a big cooler almost any of them are plenty good for two or three days
We're running a Walmart clone. Its internal seal at the drain failed and let pig juice into the insulation foam. Kinda stanky.
And a Costco chicomm cooler with wheels. A waste of $70, only good enough to bring home groceries in the Texas heat.

I'm zeroing in on an RTIC.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
I have a acquaintance with a small freezer in the back of his truck.
He gave ten bucks for it and says it’s hauled ten bucks.....

Last I heard it still works ,he used to plug it in on Thursday to freeze a few gallon jugs he keeps in it then hunt all weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
A cheap plastic Igloo or Coleman brand 120 quart cooler will work just fine, I've been using one for years that I got on sale at Walmart for $65. Easily holds a couple quartered deer or a de-boned elk. A pig or two would be no problem.

The big Yeti coolers and their look alike brands are way over rated, un-needed in my opinion, plus the darned things weigh about 100 lbs which sucks when loading and unloading.

Put a few frozen milk jugs in with your meat and it will keep a couple days in warm conditions in about any cooler. I've hauled frozen processed elk all the way home from Utah to Indiana over about three days, kept the cooler sealed up and everything was still frozen. Also, most hunting takes place in cooler months, so ice lasts longer anyway. Just use a little sense, keep it in the shade and throw a blanket or sleeping bag over it if you want a little more insulation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, great advice. I'm planning ahead now for late fall. We stop hunting hog about now because the parasites love the warmer weather. Got our last one a week ago in a rare spring cold snap. Lots of lice on the sow but a garden hose and a strong vinegar/water mix took em off. No ticks on her that we saw, and chiggers aren't out yet.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
2,096 Posts
I have a acquaintance with a small freezer in the back of his truck.
He gave ten bucks for it and says it’s hauled ten bucks.....

Last I heard it still works ,he used to plug it in on Thursday to freeze a few gallon jugs he keeps in it then hunt all weekend.
I know a guy who does similar...but he actually has his mounted on a 4x6 trailer with a Harbor Freight generator and a homemade topper to keep everything covered. That way, he cranks it up and runs it every so often and doesn't have to worry about leaving camp. Plus, he can use the generator for lights, saws, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
The yeti is big on the outside and small on the inside.

i just use a big Coleman with big chunks of ice, not cubes. It will stay frozen and keep food cold for a couple of days.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
I've always liked Igloo Marine coolers.
The larger ones will hold a couple of quartered deer and enough ice for a week.
Using large blocks of ice does make it last a lot longer.
I put the meat in plastic bags so it's not in contact with any water.

·
Registered
31,186 Posts

Igloo All Terrain 100 Qt. Cooler

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
I know a guy who does similar...but he actually has his mounted on a 4x6 trailer with a Harbor Freight generator and a homemade topper to keep everything covered. That way, he cranks it up and runs it every so often and doesn't have to worry about leaving camp. Plus, he can use the generator for lights, saws, etc.

We did this one year also, it worked fine.
Keep it in the shade and covered by a tarp and you generally don't even have to run the thing for very long periods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts