Hunter Infected w/Bovine Tb

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Jan 7, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

There are meat alternatives out there which are great - put some gravy (non-meat and great tasting) on it. Then you don't have to shot any of those pesty deer - who get into bales - but are gentle animals.

Your friendly Homesteading Today forum vegetarian,

Alex

3. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

Sure, lets go all out and ban deer hunting all around. Then we can all get overpopulated with deer, and end up with deer ruining our gardens and crops, and infecting us with even more disease. Not to mention auto accidents and the like.

Instead let's practice moderation.

Sometimes hunting is a necessary evil - vegetarian or not.

Instead of saying "Just eat vegetarian to prevent that" how about "The guy should have been more careful and payed more attention to what he was doing." or "The guy should have inspected the deer a little more before getting involved"

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Don't blame the hunter or the deer the blame is directly on the Michigan DNR for not taking care of the problem. The whole mess just p)(&*()*& me off. They have screwed around from the beginning and continue to ignore the cure. Fence in the cows with a tall fence and kill off all the deer and start over.

mikell

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Gentle animals? Think again Alex. Deer can kill you. Either in person with malice with their hooves or in person without malice as they come through the windshield. The guy who was driving a pickup truck someplace in PA would agree with me. The deer that went through his windshield killed his buddy in the passenger seat on the way out the back window to tear the topper off the truck.

Your friendly Homesteading Today forum omnivore.

Darren

BTW, have you read the book, The Secret Life of Plants? You might not be as cavalier about eating plants if you did. ;-)

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Sure omnivore, I killed a deer with my car once in Woodside, CA - very bad on the deer and the car - they can be a problem - no question.

No worries - it's not a problem - after all now that I don't eat meat - sure used to - now I kill all those soya beans and plants and rip them apart with my savage bare teeth. Sometimes I eat them raw - uncooked - how barbarin - ARRGH!

Enjoy your steaks and roast and bacon - I sure did.

Good for you - not to worry Mr Omnivore.

All the best,

Alex

7. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

the fact is that hunter /gatherers create far less disruption to the eco system than vegetarians.In order to raise a crop, you must displace all the natural flora nd fauna of an ecosystem, up root natural trees,grasses and shrubs, [and by doing so displace the birds and animals that used it for habitat]Some species will thrive on human intervention-others will be gone.
    The hunter/gatherer by contrast goes into the ecosystem, takes an animal, leaves 30%of the biomass [ by field dressing] which in turn feeds numerous other species, and then leaves.He cuts no trees, tills no soil, nor disrupts the ecosystem at all. The species that were there before are still there, and all that he leaves is his footprints.
    Let the vegetarian match that.

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:rolleyes: Now I find this interesting! I posted this to bring it to attention on how easy it is to catch certain disieses from Animals and Byproducts.

But ofcourse someone has to jump in and make it an Anti Hunting thing.I have hunted and fished all my life.Truth being because of this I see so many more animals of the woods than people that,never step foot in them.

I love animals,fish,and birds,and all my Father has given me to use.He left them in my care and I do all I can to make sure they have a use,and remain healthy.

I was so sicken last Summer,I was killing Racoons right and left that had Distemper.It was so bad these animals were not any use to nobody,as far as meat or fur.Shame I have seen these animal when they were a use for their fur,they were truly beautiful.

Animal Rights people :rolleyes: I just wish I had one just sit and watch an animal die because of some disiese because of over crowding.If they truly loved the animals as they say they would be begging for a Gun to put it out of its misery.

Don't you ever say I don't love them,I'll tell you this right now I have more love in my little finger than you AR people do in your whole body. :(

I'm sorry Guys just had to get it off my chest.

big rockpile

9. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Dh and I would really like to know where in Alcona county the deer came from. Dh is originally from there, his mom and brother still live there along with tons of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. He was just up there at the end of Dec. during their late doe season and took a doe (looked okay, we butcher our own).

In the 1990's the DNR did try to kill all the deer in that area. For many many years after that you saw very few deer up there (we live in mid-MI now), so few that I quit going out hunting at all until we bought property down here that we could hunt on.

However, the deer move in from other areas that aren't under restrictions. Don't know if those deer moving in had the infection, contracted it from some 'lucky' infected deer that survived the mass kill-off instituted by the DNR, or if they caught it from the local farm population which is supposedly all tb-free. While Dh was up there in Dec. he was very surprised to see the number of deer he did. He said in the three days he spent hunting he saw more deer than in the last five or six years combined.

10. ratherbefishin

it's hard to say exactly what all the factors are that result in overcrowding/disease.Certainly alterations of habitat,like converting forest to farmland results in a higher deer density,massive timber harvestingr esulting in increased browse, elimination of natural preditors, human intervention by winter feeding results in less winter die off, and of course, curtailing hunting, which along with no natural preditors increases the deer herd dramatically.Eventually, of course, nayure takes it's inevitable course, and what predation doesn't do-disease does-and the herd is reduced back to the carrying capacity of the range.Probably one of the best examples of this is Yellowstone park.They stopped all the forrest fires and eliminated the wolves and embarked on massive winter feeding programs- an ecological disaster.By letting forest fires burn, re introduction of wolves and eliminating winter feeding they have brought back a natural balance to the ecosystem .And guess what- healthier herds

11. inc

inc Well-Known Member

dont be so hard on alex, you can avoid animal-carried disease if you become vegetarian, you just cant argue with that.

however-
    "In order to raise a crop, you must displace all the natural flora nd fauna of an ecosystem, up root natural trees,grasses and shrubs, [and by doing so displace the birds and animals that used it for habitat]"
    very very true- the erosion of the soils,degradation of the number nad diversity of the wildlife from the monoculture that is modern agriculture cannot be compared to any other ecological disaster- except perhaps mt saint helen that destroyed instantly all those acres of trees and left nothing in its place.

12. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

"you can avoid animal-carried disease if you become vegetarian, you just cant argue with that."

Being a vegetarian doesn't isolate you from animal borne diseases.

One of the curious aspects of the mad cow related human deaths in Britain was the death of at least one young person who had aways been a vegetarian. Of course gazillions of folks died from bubonic plague carried by rats. I suspect vegetarians and omnivores alike died in those times.

Don't forget the hauntavirus that killed folks in the Southwest. They died from inhaling contaminated mouse leavings that were aerosoled by cleaning. Tuberculous caught by being exposed to others with the disease also shows that you don't have to necessarily eat something to come down with a disease carried by an animal.

FWIW, I haven't heard of anyone getting rabies from eating an animal either. I did read about folks getting infected with rabies from transplanted organs and corneas though.

Don't forget HIV. I suspect a few vegetarians caught that from animals too. Somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if some man died from scrapie only the doctors never figured it out and put it down to dementia.

It's a safe bet being a vegetarian doesn't isolate you from animal borne diseases.

13. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Hey bigrockpile,
    Aside from all the vegan/meat eating discussion, thanks for posting this. I have never examined the lung tissue of a deer. From now on I will. i appreciate the post.

14. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

15. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Take it easy.

I am not "animal rights", I just don't eat meat right now. And I think it’s fine if you do, in my humble opinion - your and my choice.

And the amount of damage to the eco system to produce hay for animals (which I do) is way more upsetting than the small amount of land used for a vegetarian diet.

Anyway, sorry to disturb the real question here. It is a good point and important for people to understand when they hunt to inspect the animal and be careful.

All the best,
    Good hunting,

Alex

Of course, now someone will want me to be animal rights - so darned if you do and darned if you don’t. Oh well too bad.

16. ratherbefishin

a surgeon friend[and hunter] told me to always check the liver-if it appeared spotted or unusual, not to eat the annimal.Also, to avoid any animal acting unusual or lethargic.