Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out there feeding until around 6:00 and all was fine. At 7:30 I went out to toss hay to the horses and check a sick chicken. I knew right away something was up. As soon as I opened my back door, she started hollering and sounded distressed.

She climbed or jumped a 3 foot goat panel and managed to get her leg and hoof caught at the top. Since she was hanging there with the leg going over the top of the panel and then back through, I thought it was broken for sure. I managed to get her free and checked it over. It's a bit swollen and there is some broken skin. It does not appear to be broken. How, I don't know. It looked bent and twisted while in the fence. It was cool to the touch so she was there a while, poor girl. After getting her free and checking her over, I came in and grabbed Bute. It was already warming up when I got back with it so hopefully circulation was not cut off too long.

Other than pain management and keeping her comfortable, is there anything I should do or watch for?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Bute is a good NSAID which are a good idea for injuries like this and it sounds like you're familiar with it's use. With any injury/stress, animals can alter their feeding habits (either they can't get to feed, don't feel like eating, or can't compete for feed), so they are at an elevated risk for secondary issues such as entero or polio, so keep an eye on her if she is having trouble getting around.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
What Dona said.

And keep an eye on the leg. Coolness is a sign that circulation was cut off and sometimes we don't know the short or long term effects of this.

Thank goodness you found her when you did. I had a promising doeling with a leg stuck in a hay feeder less than 2 hours. Not good, I knew it was bad when the open area she had created in that leg was not bleeding and the leg was swollen and cold. X-rays confirmed separation and fractures to her hip and stifle (excuse my lack of anatomy at this time, memories of her injury still disturb me). Sounds like your girl has a chance :)

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I piled hay around her to make sure she's comfortable and put a bucket of water in easy reach. She is with her 7 month old daughter so won't be bullied.

When I checked on her a few minutes ago, she was nibbling on hay.

I will give her more Bute in the morning.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Leave her rest in her stall- give her water nearby, they say goats can have ibobrufen for pain but I didn't know this til recently so haven't tried it. My mumma goat has got hung hp in a fence twice. by catching her back leg on ring lock fence- and it is awful- that hollering you just know that something bad has happened!
Mumma goat lay down until she was ready to get up (almost a whole day) the first time I stood her and walked her and she hopped without putting weight thru the leg at all- the next day she limped on the leg and within a few days it was back to normal. She wasn't allowed into that paddock again until last year when the gate was left open and exactly the same fence - must be a favourite short cut back to the feed pen :(- needless to say now there is a sheep panel extending the fence section to 1.8m there now!!

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went and checked on her first thing. At some point in the night she had stood up and turned around. So, I knew she could.

I took care of my morning routine before going back out to feed animals and check on her again. Once again she was in a different position.

While I was in the feed room, I heard something. I turned around and there she was, standing just outside the door! She is walking on it! She has a limp but is putting her weight on it.

I am so relieved.

By the way, this is a piece of panel I am using as a gate to keep the horses and goats out of the barn until we build gates. Not sure why she wanted in bad enough to jump it. Probably she just wanted in there because, well, she's a goat. She has access to the stalls and there is food in the pasture.

I guess I will be building gates this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts