Humping Buck

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Jeffery8mm, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Jeffery8mm

Jeffery8mm Well-Known Member

:flame: My stud may be a dud!!! I have a NZcross buck that is about a year to 18 months old. When you bring a doe into his pen he immediately mounts her and humps like, like, well like a rabbit!!! :)
    Problem is, he never falls over or shows any sign of having completed his given task. He will remount and hump some more. The does are plenty old enough to breed. The temp here in MS is now cool enough at night and early to try breeding. 65 at night with a high of 90 in the day time. I try to have him breed very early in the morning. What gives folks??
    Thanks

Jeff

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably the doe, not the buck. The doe has to raise her hindquarters up before the buck can "connect". If she doesn't do that, then the buck normally can't do anything. Trying them early morning is a good idea if it's the heat--I know some people breed in the night time when the rabbits are more active.

Jennifer

3. mywhitehares

mywhitehares Member

I would say it's the Doe, Some just don't give it up until they are in condition to handle Kits..They know better than us..Good Luck..and I wouldn't count him out just yet..

4. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Perhaps he is concerned about her pleasure and is therefore trying to make it last longer?

:)

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I see you live in Mississipi?

I have heard that it takes a few weeks AFTER the weather cools off before they become fertile. Personally, I would try a little longer.

Mind, I have only bred one doe, so my experience is TINY! :shrug: When I bred her in the Fall she did fine: When I bred her in Mid-summer (In California, temps up to 112) she never fell over and there were no bunnies.

6. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Take all the food out of the cage.So no distractions. Watch, take doe out of cage , wait then try again a hour or so later. I have one buck that will hump 2 sec and fall over. Then hump does head, she gets mad and then mounts him, thats when I seperate them. Wait and try again. He has been sucessful for 4 litters.