Hummingbirds in the winter

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Aug 21, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I've been enjoying hummingbirds all summer. :D I don't put out feeders for them because the feeders always leak on me, and I have enough problems with critters and insects without leaving tasty puddles of sugar around for them.

So the hummingbirds have been enjoying my flowers --- so much so that I've learned to always check before opening the front door, as there's always a hummingbird on the deck feeding on one flower or another.

My question is, what do the hummingbirds do over the winter? Is there anything I can do (other than putting out sugar-filled feeders) to ensure they're fed? Etc.?

Many TIAs. :D

2. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

It's so kind hearted of you to be concerned for our tiniest birds. But, not to worry hummingbirds are migratory -- as soon as it gets a little cooler they will again head south.

Since someone else took the time to research, you will be happy to know that those same (hopefully most if not all) hummers will be back on your deck next spring. If your deck has a bannister just get a feeder with a flat bottom and sit it there -- no lifting where the food will run down your arm and make you a bee magnet.

Thanks for sharing and caring,
    Marlene

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Good! I thought they were likely migratory, but wasn't sure.

I've grown quite attached to them. :D I can barely go outside without finding them pretty much everywhere here.

I will get on the hunt for a feeder which will sit easily on my banister for next spring. :)

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

You can still feed them a while after your hummers are gone, some migrating passersby from further north may just stop by.

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Set it in an ever so shallow pan of water. This will keep the ants out of it. Make sure the bee guards stay clean.

6. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually the migration of hummingbirds is very interesting. They are the only birds that fly non-stop to their destination. Stopping only to eat and for a very brief rest. Most other birds spend any where from a several days to a several weeks in one area; but hummingbirds keep going. Most spend the winter in Central America. Pretty amazing when you consider their size and the amount of energy it takes to keep those wings going.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

::lightbulb:: Now why didn't I think of this? Great idea! :D

Karen, I'm not surprised to hear that's how they migrate. I've had hummingbirds before, but somewhat erratically, even with feeders. This year is the first time I've had an established bunch of hummingbirds for the entire season --- it happened completely unintentionally, as I just so happened to have planted a lot of things they really seem to like. :D And fortunately, the only domestic critters I have are two extremely large and scary looking dogs who are more like a combination of Laurel & Hardy and The Keystone Cops than anything else. No cats or doggies who prey on them, IOW.

In any case, they're so wonderful I want to be sure they come back. :D