hummingbird vine

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by uarelovedbygod, Aug 6, 2005.

1. uarelovedbygod

uarelovedbygod Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just gave me a small pot of what she calls a hummingbird vine. It has delicate fern like leaves and little red flowers. I would like to plant it around my deck so the railing could act as a natural trellis. My concern is my one and 2 year old children....who play on the deck alot!!! Does anyone know if these flowers are toxic if children were to eat a few? Just curious.

--Chris

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

It sounds like red cypress vine to me...or cardinal vine...same diff I think...but I don't know if it is poisonous or not.

3. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I did a bit of research and if it is Cypress vine or Cardinal vine...a little different by scientific name...but both members of the morning glory family...it didn't say anything about it being poisonous. Morning glory seeds are "hallucinagenic" I think? Not sure....but just the morning glory seeds are....don't think the plant is...and I grew cypress vines with lots of children around and never had any troubles. I only had little ones over to visit though...mine are all older and were at the time that I planted the vine. It is a gorgeous vine. You would have to work at it to get at the seeds enough to get sick...least that is my opinion. Don't know if they are ok or not for sure.....I wouldn't think that anyone would eat very many of them because they wouldn't taste very good. Of course...kids eat roly polys and they don't taste very good either??? Well...not that I actually know???? Blick! :p

4. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

I've got a neighbor that's probably 86 years old and she calls it hummingbird vine also. I later found it labeled as Cypress vine.