Hummingbird Nest

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fire-Man, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I just wanted to share this---A few days ago I seen something that I have never seen in my 49 years---A Hummingbird building its nest--It was a thrilling site----The bird would stand in the nest with the building material in its mouth and work on the outside--then settle its self inside --like it was shaping it--It would fly off---right back in a few with more material----Its been setting on the nest alot in the last couple of days------------I would Love to see the baby birds when they hatch, Thought about attaching the camcorder to a pole and when mama flies away to get some food-----Sneak a Record(Peak)--LOL bet it would work---The nest is about the size of a duck egg cut in half--attached to the top of a limb that is only about 3/4" thick... Beautiful Site!! Randy

2. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

Randy you are a lucky man. a

3. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Isn't it the greatest sight?!
    I've had them nesting in one of my apple trees for years.
    Once, I got to give one a bath in a holly leaf.
    They're such a treat!

4. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

After years of heavy farming I went to 80 acres and survival. In the last few years with birds, cows and ponies (plus my mutts) I now get birds I never saw. Today I am thinking it is a Baltimore Oriole, so bright orange it lights your eyes up. Blue birds, the State of Missouri Official Bird --- female birds dropping down to take poultry feathers for nests, etc. I love life and thank you for enjoying yours. BTW, always remember, their bible says, "Not even a sparrow drops that I do not notice".

5. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Wow! That's great that you got to see one building a nest. This past July when I visited my Grandmother's house in West Virginia, at the end of humming bird nesting season, I found a fallen nest in the creek. I pulled it out of the creek, let it dry and brought it back to a co-worker that does crafts and she was so... happy. The nests are so tiny and intricate.

It must have been such a thrill to watch the little bugger build it. I envy you. :) It would be so nice if you could do the camcorder thing and let us see the pictures!

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh my, how I would love to see that! You are one lucky fellow!

7. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

The babies look a bit like black spiders or some other bug. So when you see them in there, don't think that some awful insect or other thing has eaten the eggs and left these things behind and go to spraying them or dumping them out of the nest. "Little black bugs" in a hummingbird's nest are the baby hummingbirds . . . very tiny!

MaryNY

8. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

I envy you,we have hummingbirds all around but I've never seen a nest. Someone once told me it was like looking at peas in a teaspoon. I'd love to see one.

9. FrogPond

FrogPond Entremanure

What a miracle to see! You are very lucky.

For the people interested in this, I post to following information - the site is still active and I need to thank my mom (an ardent birder) for finding this little gem on the web. Follow the link and enjoy!

THE BIRTH OF A HUMMINGBIRD

This is truly amazing. Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of each page; there are 5 pages in all. A lady found a hummingbird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest. Took 24 days from birth to flight. Because you'll probably never in your lifetime see this again, enjoy; and please share.

http://community-2.webtv.net/hotmail.com/verle33/HummingBirdNest/

10. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I Loved The Pic's-----This nest is about 12ft off the ground. What is so interesting is this nest is built right over my biddie brooder. I have 16 baby guinea's in the brooder that I took out the incubator---I was standing there looking at them, which is under a small shed---heard the hum sound and looked up----about 6ft right over my head was her building the nest---Maybe the baby guinea's got her in the mood----LOL. Thanks for the pic's. Randy

11. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would love to see that. you are very blessed.

12. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I observed a hummingbird nest constructed in a large spruce tree one year. It was made with a lot of spider web material.