Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought we once had a thread about which flowers hummingbirds feed from but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I saw a new one to me yesterday. I had a female feeding on red clover. She had visited the Mandevilla first, then the clover, then some hostas. Then she went to the Rose of Sharon buhes but they've been done flowering for a while and she didn't find any flowers there.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Mine love the red Autumn sage (salvia greggii). Morning glories are popular right now. They also love the blooms of bottlebrush trees----I planted an entire hedgerow of them just for the hummers. :)

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
We draw planty of them with Butterfly Bush and Bee Balm. Also Crocusmia (sp) and salvia.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I know they like trumpet vine and they really showed interest in the orange nasturtium that I had planted. Also they love the 6 ft. high red cannas.

I planted borage later in the season and that attracts bees. I will be sure to got them out earlier next summer, God willing...

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
This is a plant list for Texas from http://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/:

In addition to Lantana and Butterfly Bush, our landscape often includes Zinnias, Pentas, Milkweed, Salvia, Batface Cuphea, Hot Lips, Fire Bush, Nasturtiums, Coreopsis, and other hummingbird-friendly plants, annuals and perennials.

But we also plant other blooms that, while they may not be hummingbird favorites, provide additional color in the landscape to attract hummingbirds: Gladiolas, Geraniums, Hydrangeas, Impatiens, Verbena and roses. All deliver bright colors, and hummingbirds love color!
Other landing and feeding spots include (depending on the season) dozens of Azaleas, Pansies, Impatiens, Knockout Roses, Creeping Phlox, Daffodils, Hydrangeas, Portulaca and Gladiolas.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Ours are feeding on my Hyacinth Vine flowers right now and even my Foxglove. They are acting VERY aggressive at the feeders also. I was in the yard two days ago and saw something fluttering on the ground a few feet away from me. At first I thought it was a dragonfly but realized it was two hummingbirds....on the ground.....Fighting! I had never seen a hummingbird on the ground before but one had a hold of the other by a beak full of feathers and wasn't letting go. I stamped my foot, told them to 'knock it off!' and they finally broke and flew off. We also had one in our shop this summer. I managed to catch it before it knocked it's little brains out on a window and let it loose outside. Their behavior this year has been 'strange' to say the least this year.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've gotten threatened by them when changing out the nectar in their feeder or when mowing next to it. They fly at my head and stop and hover a foot away for a few seconds. I know they're tiny, but I'd say those little beaks could sting...

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Funny thing about hummers, was that years ago I had our daughter's bright, floral swimsuit hanging on a clothes line. The little bird was sorely disappointed that those flowers were not cooperative...

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
This is prime migration time here, and there is very little blooming in these parts, so they come in very hungry. Most of mine cooperate at first since they all want to get to the feeders -- I sometimes see three or four at the same feeder. But by late morning, they get a bit feisty. Especially when a rufous shows up. They have 6 feeders between my neighbour and myself and they are draining two or three feeders a day.

Reactions: light rain

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Belfrybat, how do you make your solution? How often do you clean the feeder and how?

I'm in so. WI. Should I not even attempt a feeder until next spring? I still see them but I don't want them to stay too long and get caught in real cold weather.

·
Premium Member
25,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Feeders do not tempt them to stay. Don't know where that started but it's wrong. Put a feeder out now, 4 parts water and 1 part sugar works well but you can go up to 3 parts water to 1 part sugar with no ill effects. No food coloring, it's not needed and is hard on their kidneys. By feeding them now, they can get the nourishment they need to continue their migration.

But it sometimes happens that a hummingbird migrates the wrong direction and ends up where it shouldn't. Mom had a hummingbird one year until Christmas. IIRC it was a Rufus, it didn't look like our Ruby-throats. It went north-east instead of south-west like it was supposed to. Mom never did find out what happened to it but she kept it well fed and warm as long as she saw it hanging around. (the old Christmas lights with the filament bulbs produce heat when lit)

The feeder should be cleaned and refilled every 3 days. I rinse mine with hot water and scrub the ports with a toothbrush. If you can find a brush with a narrow enough bristle part and a long enough handle to fit into your feeder reservoir that would be all you need to clean the reservoir. Buy a few brushes, I don't know how hard they are to find where you live but they are very hard to find here. I bought a few today at Target.

·
Premium Member
25,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not necessary but I do heat it to help the sugar dissolve faster, especially with the higher sugar to water solution.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
In very hot weather, it's recommended to change the solution daily, every other day at the most, as the solution will begin to ferment & bacteria will begin to grow.

Probably not an issue for you folks up north now but something to remember next summer. ;)

·
Premium Member
25,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it's in the sun and it's HOT (above 80*F or so) yes, change the solution and at least rinse the feeders daily. I didn't even think about that since my feeder is in the shade.

I had a female at the last remaining catnip flowers yesterday. This is the latest I have ever seen them here.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If it's in the sun and it's HOT (above 80*F or so) yes, change the solution and at least rinse the feeders daily. I didn't even think about that since my feeder is in the shade.

I had a female at the last remaining catnip flowers yesterday. This is the latest I have ever seen them here.
They were at the pots of petunias on the back porch day before last. I was surprised to still see them here.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've seen them feeding on the Jewelweed nearby for the last week or so. The Bee Balm is over so they're moving on to whatever flowers now.
They also check out the Nasturtium.

·
Enter farm name here
1,645 Posts
The hummingbirds that visit our place like Asiatic Lilies and all of the others previously mentioned. I have also seen them at petunias.

My Hawaiian Plumeria bloomed for the first time this year. (It is only outside during the summer) The hummingbirds really loved the flowers from it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts