hummingbird almost time

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stumpyacres, Mar 22, 2005.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

They return here in central Va April 16th every year!

2. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

They've been at our house outside of Seattle for at least a week now! I had to go buy another feeder because they are really going thru it. We were so happy to see them back! :haha:

3. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't own hummingbird feeders, but was amazed how many came to visit the plain old coleus that had gone to flower in my front garden. I'm planting more and more for the hummers and birds this year. No feeders for me, just flowers gone to seed. Some don't like that look, but I like to watch the birds take care of things all winter.

5. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Look up <hummingbirds.net> and click on the map. It records the progression of the hummers going north.

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I think feeders kill more birds than they help. Hummingbirds do just fine the way nature intended. There's various types here all year round in southern CA. I haven't seen as many this winter as last because we've had an awful lot of rain. In fact it's raining right now. I have flowers in bloom all year round that they visit and there's lots of wildflowers they like too.

Something I have seen a lot of this year are butterflys. Never saw anything before like I did last week. From early morning to mid afternoon a steady procession of butterflys going north. By the 100s. Well over a thousand per day passed by here. I'm still seeing them this week but their numbers have trailed off.

7. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

They say to use fingernail polish to paint the fake yellow flowers on the feeder to keep bees away.