Humidifier question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by GoldenMom, Jan 5, 2005.

1. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

We got a new (much needed) whole-house humidifier for Christmas. I was wondering if one really needs to use the water additive to control bacteria. We fill both bottles with fresh water at least once per day, so I really don't think we have too much stagnant water. Would using the additive increase filter life? Or decrease the amount of cleaning needed? I'd appreciate any other perspectives.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Mineral desposits in the water will be your major concern as these deposits will accumulate on the filter. As water is being added daily there should not be any bacteria buildup of any consequence.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

We used one in AK and never used an additive. Never had a problem with it.

4. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

The type that I have always has some water in the bottom...even if the bottles are empty. Using the additive will keep the bottom from getting stagnant & smelly. The additive is cheap..and you only need a capful.

5. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

How big is your house? ...

how much water is used by humidifier ?

what was the cost ?

how hard is it to install?

6. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Ours keeps some water in the bottom, too, so maybe the additive would be a good idea. We got it at Menard's for about $130 (there were some cheaper, some more expensive). It has the capasity to use 11 gallons per day (if it's set on "high" but that's a little noisy) and is supposed to humidify 2300 sq. feet. Our house is 1700 sq. feet and it does a reasonable job keeping enough moisture in the air to prevent static. It has two water bottles that hold 2.6 gallons each. It just plugs into the wall and is in our dining room. I know there are models that can attach to a furnance and use the blower to circulate air but I don't where to get one or how much they cost or anything.

7. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

I think you would be disappointed in the furnace type. They never seem to put enough moisture out. If you decide you want to check it out...Sears has them or any heating/cooling company will install one for you.

8. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Wouldn't bleach work as an additive to kill any bacteria? Less expensive as well.

9. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

I use essential oils like eucalyptus. Disinfects the water and the air

Pam