humans affected by rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by -, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Guest

I heard on the news recently about a disease that has been linked to rabbits and maybe poultry. It causes behavioral changes in men and women. Women become more aggressive drivers something different happens to men. This is not a joke-I actually heard this on CNN but have not been able to track it down anywhere else. Anyone hear of this?

2. Skye_tx

Skye_tx Guest

Was it Toxiplasmosis? (Forigive me if I spelled it wrong) I thought that was what I read about a while back. Normally only thought to really affect pregnant women (if I remember right can cause birth defects in the child) Was normally warned about with those that have cats -the reason why they say to have someone else take care of the cats litter box etc when pregnant. Somone correct me if I am remembering wrong.

Skye_tx

3. dnurse

dnurse Member

You are correct. Toxoplasmosis is a disease which can be transmitted to pregnant women through changing of a cats litter box. That is why someone else should change it. It can cause birth defects/miscarriages. I never heard of any other disease a rabbit could pass on to humans. Donna

4. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

This reminded me of a soap opera story I saw many years ago, on General Hospital, it was based on a very rare but real disease, the character 'Laura' had pet rabbits that made her sick, I remember the scene where she found the burning rabbit house and realized her rabbits where dead. It was about 30 years ago, I was sad the rabbits had to be killed.

5. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

For toxoplasmosis if youve had your cats along time chances are good you have already and are immune to tox. If they dont go outside you have no worries and... you'd have to injest infected feces to get it, also fresh is best, something about after 24 hrs when they get dry they are more contagious. I realize this wasnt well written, but it was how I remembered just those points from my pregnancy. I changed my cats litter during preg, I just made sure I washed my hands and anything I touched afterwards. Even though I have inddor cats only I wanted to be careful cause you never know.
    If you hear anymore of that disease will you post? Id like to hear more.

6. 4-h'er

4-h'er Member

laura from generral hospital had rabitts? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!oh brother! :rolleyes: wasn't she afraid to breack a nail? hehehoho! i can just see it, "i love you dear fluffy bunny, but it can never work between us." hehehehehhohohohoho! someone kill me! :D

7. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

30 something years ago, she was a little girl,she didn't have long fingernails, and it didn't work out between them.

......bang....bang, bang.....did I miss? LOL

8. 4-h'er

4-h'er Member

nope, i think you got me. :haha: