Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we did it, and I am very proud of Nick and myself.

For the record, the doe was not pregnant. We were starting to worry about that, but decided after this morning's escapades that either way, she had to be culled.

It took less than an hour from start to finish, and we learned a bit and we are glad to know that we can do this.

Phew.

Glad it's over, until the next time. I think we will improve our time as we go along, and hope that we maintain our respect for the animals that feed us.

Pony!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
The first one is the hardest. Good for you!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
You did well. And Pookshollow is right. The first IS the hardest, by far. The next time, you will approach the job with confidence, knowing it for what it is and knowing htat you can do it.

Don't forget to age the meat in the fridge for 2 - 3 days before cooking it. It will be much more tender that way.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the encouragement!

The meat is now aging in the fridge. When you say, "2 or 3 days" is that at least 48 hours, or...? We've been very busy and I haven't been hungry, so Nick has been eating on the sloppy joe I made yesterday -- and planning to bring it for lunch tomorrow. I'd love to make that man a rabbit dinner tomorrow night. Let's see... the meat will have been in the fridge for about 30 hours when I'm ready to cook.

Do you think that will have been long enough?

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!

Pony!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MullersLaneFarm said:
Good on y'alls heads!

I knew you wouldn't have problem with the doe eyes!

But wait... It gets better.

We went to the Animal Fair in Wheaton this afternoon. From what I observed, the Animal Fair is a bunch of herp-lovers with their snakes and dragons, and herp-food vendors -- the food being everything from crickets to mice to rats to .... RABBITS! (Nick reminded me that the rabbit breeders who were there also had chickens and doves. Are they herp food too?)

We have added two more to the herd. You'll guess the breed when I tell you the names: Ah-nold and Maria. ;)

Hehehehee....

Pony!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MullersLaneFarm said:
What's a 'herp-lover'??
People who love snakes and assorted scaly animals. Herpetologists are people who study them, but I could not think of the proper word for folks who think that they make spiffy pets. Herpe-philiests?

MullersLaneFarm said:
um, Californians???
DING! DING! DING! Give the lady a Kewpie Doll!!

BTW, the skin is in the freezer per your instructions. I think Nick is planning to get enough of them together to make a rabbit fur coat or something... He actually likes the idea of using battery acid for tanning -- but it makes me nervous! Don't know why it should. When I make soap, I use lye... ;)

Pony!

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
YAY! Congratulations!!
It does get much easier as you go.

30 hours should be fine, as far as aging goes.
How are you going to prepare the meal?
Remember, it's like chicken, only MORE, in every way.
I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Congrats on Ah-nold and Maria.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
You'll guess the breed when I tell you the names: Ah-nold and Maria.
Silly me! Here I was thinking Belgian Hares! :dance:

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rmaster14145 said:
well how did you snuff the bunny?

rm

We were going to use Animal Farmer's suggested method because it really does make sense, but chickened out because she was so nasty -- we did not want to deal with struggling and biting, with it being our first time and all.

We followed the method suggested by Carla Emery and the pictures on this link: http://www.rawdogranch.com/rabbit_butchering.htm

It was fast, I'll say that much for it. I did not squirm or skeeve out, and Nick did VERY well (he handled most of the gutting)!

Mongo is in a low oven right now, wrapped in bacon, nested on a bed of celery, and bathed in a lovely Chardonnay. I will go outside in a bit to gather some cabbage, onions, potatoes, and green beans from the garden to serve alongside the lapin au vin. :)

Pony!

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Pony said:

Mongo is in a low oven right now, wrapped in bacon, nested on a bed of celery, and bathed in a lovely Chardonnay.
Heavens but you got over that "However shall I kill such a cute fuzzy little critter?" thing awfully quick! :eek:

You are a sick woman.
Sick, sick, sick.
I like that. :D

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
turtlehead said:
Heavens but you got over that "However shall I kill such a cute fuzzy little critter?" thing awfully quick! :eek:

You are a sick woman.
Sick, sick, sick.
I like that. :D

You only like it cuz you identify with it. :buds: Hey, you're my inspiration! Even though I have my herd in cages, I still visit your site and keep track of your bunny colony. :D

Actually, the cute factor went right out the window when I saw her tearing Rita apart, then attacking Dutch, THEN she bit ME!!

It was not a vengeance killing; it was a cull. I was not at all angry when I did the deed. But I did kill her. She needed killing. ;)

Pony!

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
See, we told ya! There will still be the cute ones. The cuddly suckies. the ones that get your heart. Then there are the Mongos. And the rest are just meat.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Pony said:

You only like it cuz you identify with it.

Maybe. :whistle: <- me, whistling innocently

Hey, you're my inspiration!
I am extremely flattered. It does help to have another enthusiastic and uncertain newbie to tag along with you, doesn't it? The folks here are the greatest; always patient with my bumbling and questions.

Bernadette, you nailed it - there are cute buns, Mongo buns, and the rest are just meat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts