Human cells being implanted in sheep

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ksar, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Ksar

Ksar Member

I saw this on tv this am, where they are implanting humans stem cells in sheep fetuses. They say it will help people who need an organ replacement,( i.e. liver)
    It will help to combat the bodys defense system on the new organ, while a normal sheep liver would be rejected by our body, now with the human cells it wont be attacked as bad.(didn't they figure this out years ago, they do thousands of replacement surgeries now days, dont ever hear of them being rejected, as much as they were when they started using animal organs.) They have succeeded, and showed pictures of the human stem cells within the blood/body system, problem was there are also brain stem cells growing. The farmer interviewed made a comment " we dont have any of them talking to us yet". Could you imagine a sheep being able to talk?

I am scared as what this will really do to both animals and humans. Sorry but I want my sheep to be sheep not half human, what will happen when they eat these half human animals? Will we then be considered canibals, for eating our own kind? Thanks for letting me express my concerns and vent.

What do you think?

Ksar

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Genetic modifactions seem to be progressing at a running pace long before we know how to confidently crawl! You can blame corporate greed, which both wants patent protection and foreign recognition of same but drives the industry seemingly recklessly ahead to be first! I'm not a fan of these "advancements" made under these conditions. Once they slow down and do it right, the minor issues like "do we become canibals eatign GMO sheep" can be addressed with a simple, "NO" the rest is a waste product. Its all a bit like testing a new parachute with the first deployment at 30,000 feet!

3. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I thought this was another thread about the good old boys and the poor innocent sheep!

4. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Ksar;
    I share your concerns about using animals this way, it sounds weird for certain. I imagine/hope the sheep they use are quarantined and fed healthy diets without any hormones/vaccines given to them. Whatever circulates through the sheep's blood effects the cells piggybacking within the animal. The potential for a virus entering a sheep and mutating by transcribing and replicating a segment of human DNA then entering the cells/organs which will be transplanted into a human is a cause for concern. It could POSSIBLY lead to a virus that could be untreatable, unstoppable with a segment coded to allow it to enter a nucleopore and then sent out from the nucleus to be transscribed and replicated within the cell.
    It would not be cannibalism, for people eating lamb because I'm certain the sheep used for growing human cells would NOT ever be used as a food source. However, the whole situation needs to be monitored and a watchdog group needs to have access to the data and to observe the process. (Not likely, but necessary).
    tamilee

5. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Let me go out on a limb here and say I am for it! Not because I'm a fan of 'sheeple' so to speak, but the fact remains that there are not enough people signing donor cards, and there are thousands who die each year in need of a transplant. If everyone would sign those cards, and donate their organs after their death, there would not be such a need for these mutations of animals to keep humans alive.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I think 'scientists' are taking an awful chance with all this gene manipulation business. Whether mixing plant genes, bacterial, or human/animal. They really don't know for sure what the outcome will be, much less what horrors they could unleash on the world. Makes me think of when the Atomic bomb was first developed and the scientists were afraid that it might cause a chain reaction and blow up the entire world. But that didn't stop them from setting off the first one.

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

hey its nice to have a date that can talk to you :D

8. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

9. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Once you get your liver to working you can shear your body hair and make a sweater.

10. Ksar

Ksar Member

Posted by Cyngbaeld I think 'scientists' are taking an awful chance with all this gene manipulation business. Whether mixing plant genes, bacterial, or human/animal. They really don't know for sure what the outcome will be, much less what horrors they could unleash on the world.

That is my feeling about this whole deal, sure they say they won't make it to the consumers for meat, but BSE cows were not suppose to make it to the US either. If a lamb got lose or a theif decided to round up a few to steal, unknowing they are part human. Say a bad storm or some other tradegy happened, and all of them got displaced as many animals did here during the hurricanes last year.

I feel for any who are waiting for a new organ, I wish you the best in finding a replacement.
    True people should sign those donor cards, but that WON'T stop the scientists from creating "Frank in sheep" :haha:
    Ok, so I'm not funny, but it made me laugh.
    Ksar

11. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

they are also doing this with pigs. if this is allowed to continue, the eventual impact on humans will far outweigh the positive of saving lives. the diseases that hogs and sheep can carry that aren't transferrable to humans could very well mutate because of the human gene in the animal and create another HIV, which originated in monkeys and was spread thru contact with bodily fluids. i've signed my organ donor card, i hope they can someday be put to use for someone else, but i'd personally rather die than have a sheep liver in my body that has been mutated with a human gene...it just seems WRONG.