Huge Snowstorm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Jan 23, 2005.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Here where i am in MA we already have close to 30 or more inches overnight and are expecting another 12 or so. It's wild here. The winds are howling around 60 mph and it's a state of emergency. And believe it or not, it's supposed to snow all day. There is so much snow and drifts it's as tall as my kids. When it stops snowing, i'll try to post a pic. Haven't lost power yet and been keeping the homefires going.

The drifts are so high in some places, we can't even see our 6 foot fences!

I love it - atleast while i'm snug as a bug in my house. My heart goes out to all those hardworking people trying deperately to keep up with the snow and keep our roads clean.

How is it where you are?

brural

2. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

Oh. Reminds me of winters in Montana!

I'm on an island and we had one snowstorm a week ago.
    The first one. It got to 2 inches and only stayed overnight.

My suggestion to you... Go out and play in it!!! :p

[​IMG]

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

All we got from the front moving through has been cold winds. Overnight we had a low of 10º with it currently 18º with enough wind to provide for around zero wind chill. Later today the winds are to pick up pushing the wind chill lower, but with the temp climbing to a toasty 41º.

Tomorrow is to be balmy and 61º, followed by a day in the upper 50s.

I'll certainly pass on what is happening back east. Best wishes.

Wonder how many folk in the city will spend hours digging their car out so they can go to the convenience store for a bagle, a newspaper, and a pack of cigarettes? Oh yes, a $3 cup of coffee.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the bad year with snow and cold. I think it was 94 or 95.
    Snow was chest high (almost 5') and drifts 20' in some places. Highway snowplows couldn't move it till it melted down about April finally. The greenhouse was covered over expect the peak of the roof, and the only method to reliably get around was with snowshoes. That year started with a record 2 ft. snowstorm at halloween and piled after that. Was miserable and had -60 record temps ever recorded here. :rolleyes:

We got lots more snow that last year so far. The past 2 weeks have been shovelling every day, including 5 hours yesterday. 3 ft. on the ground and more on the way according to the weatherman.....ugh! Winter in the northland.

5. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

We ended up with 14" with a possibility of a couple more inches today. It's 1 degree with a windchill of -20. The back door of the barn is drifted in and I'll have to go dig that out shortly. DH has fired up the tractor and snow thrower to plow out the driveways.

Tomorrow we're having a heatwave! 25 degrees!

Stacy

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Brural this is serious. Starting to look like 1978. Don't know if you survived the Great Blizzard of 1978, it was the all time biggy. I was here in the same house for it. Had snow up to the second story gutters from a drift. Good thing it occurred on the weekend, these Yahoo's still wouldn't be home from last night. :no:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1978

Same deal it is drifting which normally doesn't happen. Got some serious snow for an very conjested urban area. Don't think they are going to be going out for coffee, least not in the Volvos. The big difference between 1978 and this one, is they have been on top of it all night. Using the big construction front end loaders on my street and it is open. In 1978 it took a week to get it done and they flew it big snow blowers from MN.

My dog was out, found the low spot in the driveway that normally doesn't get snow and was bottoming out on the belly. Will be coffee and eggs and then maybe a test of the shovel. Trying to think when was the last one equal to this, haven't been that many, at least it is powder.

I would not be liking to try to go to work tomorrow. My ace is the contractor who is building a house behind me will want to use the Private Way more than I do. They still haven't hung drywall, be fun watching that big truck trying to deliver it after this. Come on with the Bobcat, probably a good half day to get this moved around enough.

7. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Well, got up early this morning to shovel the snow that fell last night. Didn't really have any special need to go anywhere.... just felt like it. I figure about 4 inches on top of what we got yesterday..... maybe a total of 10-12 inches. I enjoy shovelling by hand.

Not much traffic on the road (not complaining). Taz (our husky) was laying in the snow watching me.

I don't really understand the compulsion of folks feeling that they have to always overcome nature rather than living/working with it.

Anyhoo, came in, read the sunday paper and watched some of the sunday morning political shows.

DW decided to be a sleepy head but redeemed herself by making a breakfast of french toast, bacon and orange slices. I made tea (jasmine) in our turkish teapot.

We spent some time watching the redtail hawk (who nests back behind our house) sitting on a branch about 500 feet away. What a magnificent creature.

Mike

8. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Windchill's supposed to be -45 today, which usually isn't so bad but thanks to the thaw we only have about 3 inches of snow on the ground so there's no insulation. Spent 3 hours thawing pipes in the barn yesterday and 2 this morning. Plus when I was out feeding cows last night (open loader tractor) I had to stop and wait it out a couple of times because I couldn't see the bucket on the tractor for blowing snow, still didnt' end up with any accumulation though.

9. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

10. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Still real cold today, but the snow missed us this time, the river (Ohio) is falling for now too. Temps are gonna be in the 40's next week, more like normal.

11. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Well it finally stopped. I would say got about 30 inches. They are reporting 26 inches on the Commons. Lot of snow for this neck of the woods. Probably about the second worse storm I have seen in the 34 years I've been here. Only good thing it stayed cold and all the snow was a very light powder. More suppose to fall tonight and early in the week. The winter of our discontent.

Can't shovel the sidewalks, no place to put it. Big difference between this storm and the Blizzard of 1978 and it is all in the people. Everybody is a limp wrist and feels entitled to a free ride. Me, me, me, nobody checked on anybody else, nobody thought about anything except their own agendas. Zero cooperation, all want to snooker you into doing their work. Most never even came out of the house and I am sure I'm to blame for whatever their problem might be in the future. Most disdain any form of physical work. One told me, she only will get her exercise in a gym. :p

Manual labor is to be avoided at all costs. Young'ens are taught never to do any work, be too young, be too old, be something but don't be available. I've said before, they ain't my neighbors, they just live there. Damn I can't wait to see the last of most of their lazy worthless backsides. :cool:

12. perennial

Cosmic,

just to rewnew some of your faith in people around here, our neighbors that
    share our 200' driveway have a snowblower and they snowblow the whole thing the common area and up to our cars and their own drive. I shovel their walk if they've gone to work and i'm all set. I do the sand/salt when necessary for all of it because i'm home. They are such a help. I also give them bread every week when i make it in the winter. Yesterday with them working so hard and the long time it took him to snow blow all that, i took over some hot turkey soup, slices of bread and dessert and put it in the kitch so it would be there when they finished. When we get 12 yards of gravel for the driveway every few years, all of us are out there working it in We are very blessed to have them as neighbors.

I think it's so important to always be grateful for people's kindness and to think of the people around you - I definitely think city living can bring out the worst in people. What do you all do with the snow when you can't put it in the street or sidewalk?

We will surely miss our good neighbor or two when we move rural.

13. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

After I came back in from feeding the goats and chickens, after struggling through waist deep snow, I turned on the weather channel and about fell on the floor when they told Tennessee they had a severe weather warning...1/2 inch of snow! Okay, so they can't handle it, but geez!

Ruth

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have about 13 to 14 inches here in michigan. IT is cold wiht a wind don't know what the wind chill is. but it is cold.
    I feel for you all on the east coast.
    you are getting more than we did, and we have plenty, I tell you.

15. perennial

We ended up with 38" of fresh fluffy snow. I just shoveled the way to the wood pile and boy i'm ready for a nap! Even the vent to the dryer is covered - got to uncover that soon so i can dry the kids skipants, etc. It is so beautiful to look at.

16. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

That is the $64,000 question. Most try to pile it as high as possible. Sneak some over on the next guy, have the dog eat some. :D Nothing basically works, a lot of available real estate gone until it goes. Huge mounds all over the place. Parking never in good supply these days is critical. Most people sticking very tight, I didn't go out today, my car / truck are behind maybe a zillion tons of it. Neighbors piled their snow to get their cars out directly in my path. Typical. Can walk to the store. Most of the people with snow blowers are having them crap out. Just not built for this sort of stuff. I used to have a good sized tractor with snow blower but got rid of it in prep for leaving. Could have made a lot of money. No safety valves left, no spare lots to dump or move it too. Every bit you put somewhere will bring a squeal from somebody. Oxen will be gored but you can't find the ditch they are down in. :haha:

They even invented this new way of building more houses. Based on everybody has a price. They find two guys with a bit of front lawn. Buy half of each and build a house in between them. Talking feet, inches to spare. But they are right, people have their price. Money talks. I can imagine a few streets that you can't get through in August and what they are like now. Might serve to be a warning shot of what the "Price of Progress" is all about.

Good to hear you have reliable neighbors. Getting quite rare in these parts. I don't regret any of the time I spent here. Could have skipped the last five years but that is the way it goes. In the old days some very good times. Good people but it pretty much gone now. This modern lifestyle tears them up running hard to stay even. Talked to some of my relatives, most are pumped that I am finally close to going home. Same all over. Lot of people want out of the rat race but feel stuck. Until they started all this Mickey Mouse building stuff, I had the best of all World's. A kind of country setting 20 minutes for downtown in a little isolated pocket few people even knew existed. Even had pheasants that you could hear calling in the morning.

My contractor guy didn't show up so no Bobcat. Figure he is still out making money moving snow, job behind me totally shutdown. Only shoveled a path. Got to pray it doesn't warm up and rain on this. Nothing matters, mentally I am gone.

17. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If you got 38" in Massachusetts, what did central NH get? I haven't heard from either of my daughters in the Laconia area.

Kathleen in Oregon

18. perennial

BlueJuniperFarm,

I don't think they got as much as us as it was a Nor'Easter Coastal Storm. I'm sure they got over a foot though.

19. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ah, got the bobcat this morning. Boy, did that guy fly thru that snow. Moved mountains in a few minutes. I am free at last. Got to get me one of them smaller Bobcats just for the hay of it at the next place.

20. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Lord, they are not done with us yet. Snowing again, maybe another foot. We are talking major record here.

Lot of things coming together in this time frame for the future. I do want one of them Bobcats. One with the tracks. Totally rethinking what my future plans are.