Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black new zealand bunny had 12 babies at about 12:00PM. I think her man(Gary) was trying to mate with her before or during she was giving birth. I've noticed she's been bleeding a little ever since. When i checked on her hours later(around 11:00PM), she was still bleeding slightly. Though, the blood doesn't look pure red, it looks sort of "watered down". Is this serious? She's never had 12 babies before, by the way. She appears to look & act normal... but still, i don't want anything to happen to my bunny because i really love her :)

I understand that this can happen due to a baby still being inside of her, but i thought the maxium amount of babies a new zealand has is 12 kits? If i'm right, anything else that can cause this? Remember, the blood looks watered down and it's very small amounts.

Please help, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Lini said:
My black new zealand bunny had 12 babies at about 12:00PM. I think her man(Gary) was trying to mate with her before or during she was giving birth. I've noticed she's been bleeding a little ever since. When i checked on her hours later(around 11:00PM), she was still bleeding slightly. Though, the blood doesn't look pure red, it looks sort of "watered down". Is this serious? She's never had 12 babies before, by the way. She appears to look & act normal... but still, i don't want anything to happen to my bunny because i really love her :)

I understand that this can happen due to a baby still being inside of her, but i thought the maxium amount of babies a new zealand has is 12 kits? If i'm right, anything else that can cause this? Remember, the blood looks watered down and it's very small amounts.

Please help, thanks.

Howdy....I have not bred my nz yet but my silver satin I have and at times she has bled for 2 days after kindling.....flip her over if ya can and see if she is torn...look from her vigina to her anus...just like people sometimes a birth will cause tearing and may reopen the tear for a few days when she tries to pass stool or strains in any way....if she is torn it will heal in a few days by itself.....good luck...dale anne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Lini,

A little bleeding is normal. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to flow freely, put pressure on it and take her to a Vet. Blood spotting will usually stop within two to three days.

"I think her man(Gary) was trying to mate with her before or during she was giving birth."

Why would the buck be with her? This can be dangerous as rabbits are very territorial, especially does with new born kits. Also, there is a risk that the buck might kill the kits. We do not house rabbits together after they reach about 10 weeks old and never after 12 weeks.

"I understand that this can happen due to a baby still being inside of her, but i thought the maxium amount of babies a new zealand has is 12 kits?"

I don't remember the record, but I think it was over 20 kits. It is not unusual for NZW to have 12 - 15. I would think it could be the same for NZB.

Enjoy your new litter and good luck,

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael Leferink said:
Lini,


Why would the buck be with her? This can be dangerous as rabbits are very territorial, especially does with new born kits. Also, there is a risk that the buck might kill the kits. We do not house rabbits together after they reach about 10 weeks old and never after 12 weeks.
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, someone let Gary out because he's never been able to get out of the cage on his own before. Momma told me that the doe was screaming when Gary was trying to mate with her(Momma was the first one to check on the bunnies), so momma got Gary off of her, then told me what was happening. I'm aware that she can eat or kill the babies if the male is around, that's why i took Gary outside. I usually don't let him out, but i was so mad at him, i didn't know what to do.

Anyway...Thanks for the advice, i'll check for what Dale Anne told me :)
God bless you people ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Michael Leferink said:
Lini,

A little bleeding is normal. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to flow freely, put pressure on it and take her to a Vet. Blood spotting will usually stop within two to three days.

"I think her man(Gary) was trying to mate with her before or during she was giving birth."

Why would the buck be with her? This can be dangerous as rabbits are very territorial, especially does with new born kits. Also, there is a risk that the buck might kill the kits. We do not house rabbits together after they reach about 10 weeks old and never after 12 weeks.

"I understand that this can happen due to a baby still being inside of her, but i thought the maxium amount of babies a new zealand has is 12 kits?"

I don't remember the record, but I think it was over 20 kits. It is not unusual for NZW to have 12 - 15. I would think it could be the same for NZB.

Enjoy your new litter and good luck,

Mike
We have a NZ who had a litter of 15 kits last week. She bleed for 3 days but is now ok. Have faith and watch her. Also you should separate your buck from your doe.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top