Huge Hog Dilemma Soon To Be Over

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dezeeuwgoats, Jan 4, 2007.

1. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Well, we sold our two barrows for $3.50lb hanging weight right before Thanksgiving. The two buyers wanted to use their own contact for butchering. That guy kept flaking out on us over and over, for about four weeks. The original day was right after Thanksgiving. By the time we put our foot down and told the buyers we'd use our own butcher, thank-you very much, the wait to make an appointment for them at ours was another four weeks.

Needless to say, I will be glad to see these hogs go. They are huge. I know that we will make a little more money because the price is based on hanging weight, but I also know that they eat more to gain less meat after about 230lbs. I'd have to guess that these guys are at least 300 - 340lbs. They got an eight week reprieve! Egads. :1pig: :1pig:

Learned a lot, though. Will never let it go this long again, and will be pretty hesitant to agree to deliver a hog to someone else's butcher too.

Niki

2. levisthered

levisthered Member

I don't know whether they cared about the reprieve that much because after all, whats time to a pig.
    take care
    Levis

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Turn to Earn, Niki :) Turn to Earn.
    The boys will have fun loading them bad boys up, LOL. Have they tried putting a pony saddle on'em yet?

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

$3.50 A POUND HANGING????? Tell them I will I will sell them as many as they want and will hold them as long as necessary!!!