Hug your dog for me!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mpillow, Dec 18, 2004.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

:waa: :waa: :waa:

Our beloved 12yo German Shorthaired Pointer died in my arms this morning. Pillow's Prancing Dixie Belle has gone to heaven and I hope she finds a special boy to play fetch with and lots of interesting smells to investigate. And most of all I hope someone will give her a hug from our whole family.....we miss her terribly....

She was the best dog. She gave new meaning to love and devotion.

2. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like she lived a long and happy life with you. I know it's hard, but she wouldn't want you to be sad. Hang in there, I lost my sweet girl this year too, but I know we'll see em again one day!

3. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Ohh, I'm so sorry.
    I lost my pal Sparky several months ago. I know it's heart breaking, pets are so special.
    Blessing thoughts for you,
    Bill

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about your loss, just because they are "pets" doesn't make them less in our hearts.

I hugged all four of mine for you. Two of them are getting up there in age.

Stacy

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad to hear that your dog brought you such happiness and devotion. That's a special thing to be thankful for.
    I'll surely hug my three dogs several times today.

Rich ;)

6. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

That's so sad, my condolences :(
    I'm going to be in the same position soon myself I think, with a dear old freind and protector, its just not the same without them, but we do have our memories.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My heart goes out to you and your family. Losing a pet is so hard. I'll hug my dogs many times today in honor of your beloved pet.

Last night I dreamed that my four dogs were people. I told my husband about the dream this morning and he said, "They are people. They're our children."

8. diane

diane Well-Known Member

It is so hard to lose a special friend. I am glad your dog could die in your arms. Several years ago my dear friend of 12 years had an inoperable spinal tumor that was causing her pain that we could not take away. We had the vet in and held her and spoke to her as she went to sleep. I have never regreted it but to this day I remember her relaxing into my arms. (((((0))))))))

9. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

I truly am sorry to hear of your loss. So many times people do not understand how devastating the loss of a pet can be. I am going to hug all my 4 legged friends twice today. I hope your beloved pet has found my two poodles in heaven.

10. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so very sorry for your loss. It hurts so much. I just went through the house and hugged and kissed my four doggie friends, and snugged 3 cats along the way. Mpillow, you are in my thoughts tonight, dear. I'm sorry.........

11. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Just this side of Heaven, is a place called Rainbow Bridge...

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER...

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:waa: I'm so sorry!!!

big rockpile

13. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I loss two of my babies this year. Sunshine died suddenly and unexpectantly at age 4. Her sister Cotton Candy died a few months later of a broken heart and loniness for her sister. I mourned, cried, cursed God, and went into a depression over my girls. The only sokice was knowing that they are together again and happy. I know in my heart we will all be together again. I feel for you losing your friend. I'm sure it was such a comfort to her to cross over while being in the comfort and warmth of your caress. I will hug my remaining babies in memory of your special friend.

14. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

It's ironic & SAD that ''man's best friend'' has such a short lifespan. I've had dogs all my life, & I've had to learn over & over again to accept the death of a favourite conpanion. It's not easy.The best way is to get a new puppy.Sorry for your loss.

15. mpillow

Thank you all! We were blessed to have her....and we will get a new GSP soon, it just isn't home without a dog. She enriched our lives.

16. Oregon Too

Oregon Too Active Member

I gave my two GSPs a hug, and they told me to give you a "GSP" hug 'specially from them. I'm probably too biased in favor of GSPs, but they suit our personalities to a t, and I'll never be without one in our home.

Before them, I had two GSP brothers - the boys passed away within months of each other at 14 years. At the time, we had the two older boys and the younger kids (now 8 years old). That was an energetic pack of GSPs, and they all had a good sense of humor, and yes, were/are extremely devoted. It was fun.

I've sent positive thoughts to my two old departed shorthair boys, and told 'em to welcome your girl. Am sure by now, my boyz will have shared their fetch kids and shown your girl the ropes.

Am so sorry for your loss, and as a gsp owner, I understand it from that angle too. What a great dog friend they are.

"I still miss those I loved who are no longer with me, but I find I am grateful for having loved them. The gratitude has finally conquered the loss. "
    Rita Mae Brown.

17. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Here is a big hug for you (((((H))))). I know how terrible it is to lose a furry friend. Death is part of life's circle. I sure hope I will be reunited with all my best friends someday. I hugged Sugar, Roscoe, Hannibal(I didn't name him) and Ebony, for you too.

18. mpillow

I just wanted to let everyone know a little about Dixie....

She was gun trained for partridge and very good at pointing, holding, hunting up and all that...she became extremely excited at the smell/site of shotgun. When she was 8 months old, I met her and my (future) husband and fell in love with both of them almost immediately! She knew all her hunting commands, regular obedience and "off the carpet". She was not allowed into the living room so she would just put her paws on the carpet while we watched tv. I secretly let her in the bedroom for parties in the bed when hubby was not home....he only caught us a few times. :haha:

Then I got pregnant for my son and puked my guts out day after day and the dog was always at my side....she even got milk when my time was near. She loved that baby more than life itself...she laid beside him on the floor and as he grew and crawled and mauled her she was ever so patient and loyal. Our son would get in her crate and lay down with her. Boy who smells like dog, indeed!

When my daughter was 3yo a stray rotweiller was about to attack her when Dixie came out of nowhere and literally saved our daughters life.

We never chained her and left her loose even when we were gone...she always stayed to home.

I got a kitty 4 years ago and my husband said Dixie would eat the cat and not to bring it home, but I did anyway. My husband was disgusted (delighted really) when he found kitty nursing the dog...yep she got milk again!

2&1/2 years ago the vet said she had mammary cancer and only 3 months to live....and we prepared the children and ourselves for the worst....and it didnt happen. We were so luckky to have the extra time.

The dog could also get your slippers for you....and she knew by the smell whose slippers to bring.

We took her everywhere and she was always well behaved and people always commented on her behavior and intelligence. Hubby has asked me to trace her lines (she was AKC) and hopefully we can get something close to her line. We may even get a rescue GSP as well. Dixie and the cat often tag-teamed the squirrels around here which was always fun to watch....she was an awesome dog.

19. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

:waa: Yep, time to wipe my eyes and go hug and kiss my dog.

Thanks for sharing that mpillow. Sorry for your loss but happy you were blessed with such a wonderful pooch.

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss! A dog's life is too short, and each time one of our dear friends passes on, the hurt seems to sting a little more, because we know that we will have to find another dog to love, and the time we get to enjoy with the next furry friend will also be short...

Now I am weeping for your dear dog, and all our dogs past. And, even though our temps are below 20 today, I think I shall take Buster the Wonder Dog out for a romp in the yard today, and kick around the green indestructible (ha!) ball, and just love the stuffin' out of him (short-furred as he is, he never seems to mind the cold if I'll just play with him).

I pray your hurt heals, and that loving memories will one day make you smile instead of weep.