Homesteading Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33,499 Posts
What did you discern from your pattern analysis?

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
What does each graph signify? They should have titles.

What would anyone guess that a graph of HT participation from 2002 to present would look like?

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What did you discern from your pattern analysis?
There seems to be a lot less traffic now.
I don't think the new software is going to help the trend.

What does each graph signify? They should have titles.

The charts are pageviews.

Traffic Analysis
Compare it to ...

Pageviews
Homesteadingtoday.com has 9.31K visitors and 9.31K pageviews daily.

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
I don’t see a year attached to the different charts, probably me as the problem so I’m not sure what I’m looking at.

I assume viewership and participation has fallen off here over the past few years.

the internet is consolidating into Facebook and google owning and controlling everything, people are fallowing along with that and happy to be ‘owned’ by them. granted those companies make it easy, even tho they remove a lot of choices and diversity no one notices until thry are gone.

then, this site had some security/ personal data use issues a while back, I think a lot of solid fun dependable folk left over that one. Not trying to throw old dirt up, just how it is.

Paul

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t see a year attached to the different charts, probably me as the problem so I’m not sure what I’m looking at.
They are this year or last year, starting with the oldest at the top.

The site only shows one chart at time as they are updated.

It would be nice if they were more clear and if they combined the data to show longer trends.

·
Registered
318 Posts
the internet is consolidating into Facebook and google owning and controlling everything, people are fallowing along with that and happy to be ‘owned’ by them. granted those companies make it easy, even tho they remove a lot of choices and diversity no one notices until thry are gone.

then, this site had some security/ personal data use issues a while back, I think a lot of solid fun dependable folk left over that one. Not trying to throw old dirt up, just how it is.

Paul
I think social media is a good thing to bring up. A lot of people moved to Facebook Groups because it allowed for greater and more active access to local communities without sacrificing national/global ones. For instance, I use Facebook to participate with a lot of dog groups, and I have access to a group that focuses on health testing on there. I wouldn't find that here, even though there's a whole forum on companion animals. Same thing with rabbits -- the rabbit FB groups are explosive compared to the rabbit forum here.

That said, Facebook has recently started enforcing their "no animal sales" policy and is going extremely hard at animal groups that allow adoption and sales. This is really undermining the entire point of some of these groups, especially homesteader and livestock groups. I think this would be a great opportunity to try and recapture that traffic.

But also: I found this forum by accident. I was looking up ideas for homesteading on just an acre of land, because I don't own a great big ol' farm and most YouTube videos about homesteading aren't helpful in that regard. Buried deep in the bowels of Google search results was a post on this forum about the topic I was searching for.

But this site doesn't come up for regular search topics on homesteading, animal husbandry, crafts, etc -- none of the things this community shows a lot of support for. I have to go out of my way and literally type "Homesteading Today" for it to show up. That shows that the SEO and marketing for the site is failing miserably, and without it, you'll never get many new visitors.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
2,100 Posts
I think part of it is what GTX mentioned in another thread...look at the postings lately. Most all the "hot" posts are bickering, frustration filled on COVID and the like. I enjoy a good discussion as much as the next guy, but I come to HT to see what's going on in the "homesteading" world.

·
Premium Member
20,655 Posts
I think part of it is what GTX mentioned in another thread...look at the postings lately. Most all the "hot" posts are bickering, frustration filled on COVID and the like. I enjoy a good discussion as much as the next guy, but I come to HT to see what's going on in the "homesteading" world.
It’s always been like that Here and on most forums.
people enjoy a good dust up or feel strongly about certain subject.
If you don’t like it...all you have to do is stay off of General Chat and start threads on the topics you are interested in.
It would help if people posted homesteading things in the proper areas and not just lump everything into general chat.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
2,100 Posts
It’s always been like that Here and on most forums.
people enjoy a good dust up or feel strongly about certain subject.
If you don’t like it...all you have to do is stay off of General Chat and start threads on the topics you are interested in.
It would help if people posted homesteading things in the proper areas and not just lump everything into general chat.
Lisa I'll agree that there's always been "lively" discussion here. And that's fine. I was just voicing my opinion on the decrease in traffic.👍

I just don't see the number of homestead related posts here I used to...in specific forums or general chat. Again, just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
20,655 Posts
Lisa I'll agree that there's always been "lively" discussion here. And that's fine. I was just voicing my opinion on the decrease in traffic.👍

I just don't see the number of homestead related posts here I used to...in specific forums or general chat. Again, just my opinion.
We lost a lot of people after Alice Gate. I’ve heard that Melissa’s forum that she started after that debacle closed down recently so there was a good chance a lot of people might have come back, but with this new format....maybe not.
If you want to see more homesteading topics...start them. People generally respond well and share knowledge readily.
Be the change you want to see.

·
Registered
33,499 Posts
How long has this forum been around?

When was it at it most popular?

There is no doubt FB has put these type of forums in a tough place.

Reactions: crehberg

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve heard that Melissa’s forum that she started after that debacle closed down recently so there was a good chance a lot of people might have come back, but with this new format....maybe not.
She opened it back up, but they seem to have lost many of their members and traffic there is about half what it was. (And it was never all that good)

Forums in general have been declining for years now that phones have become a major means of accessing the internet.

Things here could have been much better had they asked about the features we wanted BEFORE they changed everything rather than dumping an entire new setup on us and then asking for "feedback" to make it better.

The folks working on it don't seem to participate in these forums, and no one seems to really know what's going on, based on the replies we get compared to the "release notes"

·
Registered
33,499 Posts
She opened it back up, but they seem to have lost many of their members and traffic there is about half what it was. (And it was never all that good)

Forums in general have been declining for years now that phones have become a major means of accessing the internet.

Things here could have been much better had they asked about the features we wanted BEFORE they changed everything rather than dumping an entire new setup on us and then asking for "feedback" to make it better.

The folks working on it don't seem to participate in these forums, and no one seems to really know what's going on, based on the replies we get compared to the "release notes"
The best thing to do is to bring up the "new" site at a different url. Have some cooperative users doa daily call with the developers and implementors, and create a punch list and work it down.

Fidelity investment works new release well. They have a toggle to take you to the new, and back to the old version with ease. They take months, almost a year, to make the final cut over. But they spend very big bucks on developers and testers, and user interface engineers.

A lot of it depends on your budget.

I have seen a new system almost put a company out of business.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Eh. The new site definitely shocked me, because I wasn't expecting a change. I first saw it on Mobile and had to double-check where I was.

The single most obnoxious thing with the new platform are the extremely in-your-face advertisements. As I've written this post, I've seen a full page-height ad reload with a new ad every 10 seconds. I have satellite, with a 20GB data cap. Look, I totally understand needing to fund hosting and development, but this is NOT a rural-homesteader-friendly feature. Go Reddit's route and stick with embedded text ads, FFS. This is why people have to download blockers.

However, credit where credit's due. The new site is a lot more readable and scales better (well, once the ads are blocked). The old forum had a musty old "2004" feel to it that made you immediately question whether or not it was even active and worth creating an account on. The fact that it now allows new people sign in with Google SSO rather than jump through a bunch of sign-up pages is probably a plus.

Personally, I'd pay premium to get access to a live chat, assuming people actually chatted in it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.