Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
I think a lot of us are shocked by what is going on in the country the past couple years.

it seems being a prepper is going to pay off sooner than later!

kinda hard to talk about canning orplanting lettuce for the30th time, when the world is falling apart.

there really isn’t much general homesteading to talk about anyhow. If you have a homesteading topic, it should likely be nicely covered in one of the specialized forums. What is there to discuss here in general?

I think a lot of folk have gone to Facebook and other such, spend their time on social media, not real info. If you want to know about growing lettuce google it and probably 5 threads from here show up, no need to ask or discuss any new ground on it. The forum was successful enough to have covered everything......

i dissapeared from here for quite a while. I come back every few months or years..... been a lot of changes. Seems a lot of good folk left back years ago now, when some content was being manipulated or reposted other places. Things kinda went downhill after that.

I really don’t know who or what is running the place any more. Guess it doesn’t matter.

two really bad things - the suggested threads deal that pulls up 5 year old threads is very off putting.

and, I can’t hardly type and edit a message on my iPad. The text editor of this software and the iPadoutput hate each other. Big chunks of text get erased if I simply move the cursor. It capitoloses things I want lower case, and vs versa. It’s to where I stop trying to reply because it just doesn’t work.

Paul

·
Registered
396 Posts
i think most forums are dying , I really don’t know why .
I don’t like the new format or the old threads popping up , old threads should be some place separate.
I’m on other forums that are banning them selves out of existence , I don’t like the censorship it’s like being watched from the sky . My 2 Cents

·
Administrator
19,764 Posts
I don’t like the new format or the old threads popping up , old threads should be some place separate.
I’m on other forums that are banning them selves out of existence , I don’t like the censorship it’s like being watched from the sky . My 2 Cents
In order to move old threads to someplace else, mods would have to spend a great deal of time moving them and some are great resources. If we leave them where they are, people have the ability to search a bit easier.

I do agree with you and hated the recommended threads feature the last time we had it and still hate it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I’m not on forums that have any thing to do with social media .
One of my forums died when they bandemost of the contributing members in one night
Posts just disappear ?
What’s going on is BS

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
I think a lot of people feel bad when the post in a 10 year old thread ?
Oh, I don't know.

Some older threads are interesting, and I'm occasionally glad to see them resurrected.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
Some of those old threads have useful information. Some make me laugh like the one where a person was commenting about how cheap something was, on a 12 (IIRC) year old thread.
I like to see the threads from the folks who have passed on. I get a little teary eyed, but... you know. <3

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Our old chess forum was on for 15 years. Got two preacher from Tx. that took it over and really messed it up with there church junk. We made a new forum and now it has over 100k members. Players from all over the word along with the World Chess champs playing there. Anothre good forum is the world Ladies chess forum from N.Y

·
Registered
396 Posts
I haven’t played chess since my dad died in the 80s , we use to have some intense games .
I may have to start playing again if I can get a game .

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
We used to have a preacher type, with six kids, next door. He was trying to live way beyond his means as a handyman, so when times were tight, he would tell his kids it was "sinful" to drink Coke, Pepsi, and Mtn, Dew......But, when he got a few jobs, things loosened up and the family carried their empties back to the store for the deposit refund (MI, .10) in bulging trash bags, just like all the other neighbors.

The SHTF just over a year ago, and thousands upon thousands of people waited countless hours in emergency food lines. That suggests to me that the homesteading mindset and lifestyle of a few years ago has gone by the wayside for most of us, except for a few of the "faithful". You can still find a few of them here, and not all of them "chat" their way through the day. You can probably find a few nonmembers out in the countryside who don't need the political and psycho social stuff--they're just steadily working away, stocking up for the next time.

(The most interesting "old" thread for me was the 90 percenter thread--posts by members here who are getting closer to their goal of being at least ninety-percent self-sustaining on their own homestead. I can't find it, but I wish someone else could. Maybe we all need to read that one.)

geo

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
People should know participation in HT isn't based on confirming you are living on 143 acres with a humanure garden and a bicycle generator. But if 9 out of 10 of your posts have multiple interventions from the mods, Facebook debate might be better suited for your mission.
I'd guess from reading many threads here that there are plenty of folks who aren't currently "self sufficient" but they have the knowledge and skillset and experience that if the need arises they know where their muck boots are.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
I don’t mind reading them , but guys get really jumped on if you post in a zombie thread .
They get me some times , but what ever . It dosent bother me .
I wonder why someone would jump on you if you post to a resurrected thread...

Now, of course, I am sorely tempted to go dig up some threads and reply. ;)

41 - 60 of 66 Posts