Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Seasonal to an extent. But, compared to previous years traffic is down. It's nothing like it was when I joined in '06. That was before there was a separate room for political debate. Barker Hill used to see way more traffic, as well. Not as much as here, but more than three or four regulars. I'd imagine that the popularization of various social media outlets has a lot to do with it. Also, people get bored with it. People get busy. Plus...people die. Sometimes I go through old threads and see names I haven't heard from in years.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Although the interpersonal dynamics of General Chat are dysfunctional, inhospitable and off-putting a lot of the time, that really doesn't account for the downturn in traffic. I have been on this forum since 2006, and while some of the names change, GC has always been this way.

The fact is that the core demographic of HT is aging out, and generally not being replaced by a younger generation of posters. There are exceptions, but young people have many more options in terms of social media, and a forum like this is kind of Stone Agey. People seeking knowledge can google a lot of it directly from websites, or find youtube videos on the specific topic. That wasn't as easy to do a decade or more ago.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
That is interesting (others are googling, instead of using HT) ... I googled my way to HT in '18, and never looked back. The knowledge I found here far exceeded what I could find on the 'net.

I now try to give back with articles written for many of the forums where others have helped me out ...

Thank you, all!

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Several months ago someone was banned. There seems to a rule or tradition against mentioning them by name. Posts talked around it. I thought it was PW. I have not seen her posting since then until she started this thread. I guess it was Lord Voldemort (He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named) who was banned. Not named because it could conger up his re-appearance. Did someone mention PW by name?

I would think that there would be an uptick in participation in this site because of all the people that are moving to the country and working from home. Yet the homesteading forum has died. ????

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
Not much going on in the gardening forums. I guess people have enough toilet paper stored up from last year they don't need to plant any more.....

And there's a big difference between "chat" and "controversy"......

My homestead needs too much for me to sit at a screen all day and do the GC thing as it has been for a long time now. But I like to follow some of the other forums and I generally bypass this one, most of the time after a quick scan of the contents and posters.

I never stop at the goat forum......but then, I hate goats....

geo

🤓

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Let's see the chart comparing Mar-Apr-May 2020 against Mar-Apr-May 2021
apples:apples are the best comparison
Maybe traffic is down, maybe it's just that homesteaders got outside when the weather got better (both years?).

·
Registered
37 Posts
And there are few new/regular members to replace the ones that have passed on. And those that come ask a few questions then disappear often without a thank you.

The new format recommending threads from years ago over current ones doesn't help.

The rudeness and vitriol (blame whichever side you want) destroys any feeling of community that existed even if it was heated back in the day, that is now dead. I have been told more times than I can recall by several members (of course without moderator intervention) that my opinion wasn’t valued and had no business posting here because I am Canadian....

The site owners would be wiser if they payed more attention to what is killing this site.

At least the search function ‘sort of’ works.
The site owners run hundreds of sites. It is part of their bread and butter and they need people using the sites. I think they will have to address the problems or there will be a bunch of people out of jobs.
While it is convenient to blame VS for the problems here, you have to know that the owners are not the ones posting here. It is the membership that makes a site succeed or fail, not the mods, not the owners.
VS does not reach all the way down to this site just to intervene, it is not a big enough cog in their overall machine to warrant that kind of attention.
And the purpose of the moderators is not to settle disputes or censor, it is to keep the spam and discord at bay.

If all the posts on a homesteading site are current events drama, the site will be known for current events drama and will attract the type of people that want to read soap opera drama.
If members quit posting (and encouraging) the soap operas and start posting homesteading information, they will attract the appropriate audience.

So again, it is the members that make (or break) the site so if you have issues with the direction that it is going, look to thine self.
Be part of the solution instead of whining about the problem.

But thats just my opinion.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
While it is convenient to blame VS for the problems here, you have to know that the owners are not the ones posting here. It is the membership that makes a site succeed or fail, not the mods, not the owners.
VS does not reach all the way down to this site just to intervene, it is not a big enough cog in their overall machine to warrant that kind of attention.
And the purpose of the moderators is not to settle disputes or censor, it is to keep the spam and discord at bay.

If all the posts on a homesteading site are current events drama, the site will be known for current events drama and will attract the type of people that want to read soap opera drama.
If members quit posting (and encouraging) the soap operas and start posting homesteading information, they will attract the appropriate audience.

So again, it is the members that make (or break) the site so if you have issues with the direction that it is going, look to thine self.
Be part of the solution instead of whining about the problem.

But thats just my opinion.
I believe they go hand in hand. The owners decide the rules and what content is allowable. Their mods police that. The member's can only post what is allowed or encouraged or they can't post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did the rules change when VS bought Second Media?
I am honestly asking, I wasn't a member prior to the changeover to the new software.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe they go hand in hand. The owners decide the rules and what content is allowable. Their mods police that. The member's can only post what is allowed or encouraged or they can't post.
I know at least two of the mods here from elsewhere and cannot imagine either one of them enforcing any kind of true censorship, they just aren't that kind of people.
Please don't misunderstand me, mods do make mistakes, they are people too, and text does not convey emotion very well so sometimes what is typed is not the same as what is read and as such, misunderstandings happen.

I am truly curious if there are examples here of VS reaching all the way down to this site and "allowing or encouraging" members posts.

·
Administrator
19,672 Posts
I haven't received any directions from ownership so perhaps you could forward me your list of instructions.

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
I enjoy the people here (most of them) but I'd sure like to talk about homesteading instead of politics and it gets really boring when a couple of people have to have the last word and aren't content until everyone else believes as they do.

As time goes along, this forum has become a lot less about homesteading, less about livestock, less about growing veggies, less about storing,food, taking care of the land, how to get started in small farming... the sorts of things I am interested in. Honestly, I could care less about your opinion on covid vaccine, unless perhaps you are a noted virologist at a prestigious medical school... which none of the insistent loudmouths are.

But I still hang out because I like a lot of the people here.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,438 Posts
At one time, I practically lived on HT. I absolutely DETEST the new platform, and will not post again.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sadly I’m not surprised. This forum used to be more homesteading oriented but it has veered off track due to a handful of habitual posters that post about things completely unrelated. These types of posts should be posted in other forums where their viewpoints would be better appreciated. Personally I barely come here because of all these off topic discussions.

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
At one time, I practically lived on HT. I absolutely DETEST the new platform, and will not post again.
I agree with you about the new platform. I still don't know why they took away the "comfort view" mode and why they keep bringing up zombie posts in the "recommended for you" list.

I will miss you very much. No matter what the subject, your posts are usually worth reading.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,886 Posts
I don’t know what the comfort view was. Never was aware of it.

I think new homesteading folks don’t look for forums. It’s all about Facebook.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts