How's your winter been?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hunter63, Dec 30, 2006.

1. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Part of Dec was cold and Oct was cold, but lately ?????????

I have a feeling that we are still gonna get it. Been in the 30-40's in SE Wisconsin. Zone 5

Was out looking at the garden and noticed that the lettuce that I had let go to seed (on purpose, experiment) in my "salad" garden is sprouting, as well as the dill!

2. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Up here on the North shore of Lake Erie, we have lilac bushes starting to bud. The ground is saturated soaking wet, not frozen like it should be. I was just out in a sweatshirt- no hat gloves, jacket- and was completely comfortable for a 15 min walk (make that slog- the mud is unbelievable!).

3. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;With the exception of a few days last month (50's) it has been in the 80's all winter,which is just the way I like it.I Love Winter in CA.-

4. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

So far after some cold days in Nov it has forgotten to be winter. Of course there is lots of time left but I won't mind if it never remembers here in SWVA.
    PQ

5. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I'm also zone 5. Today it feels like a beautiful October day. I really hope we get some snow this year or my kids are going to be very sad. :(

RedTartan

6. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Zone 8b. One-two ground frost so far a few weeks ago, again last week. 70s now. WIsh I'd realised how it bounces mostly up so much- would've blanketed my peas and fava beans for those two nights instead of saying goodbye and thinking they were goners two weeks back. Might have nursed them through unfrostbit. Might also make no difference...

7. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

its been pretty nice here all week. I have built a new dog house today, me and my son rebuilt a garden cart yesterday. I was doing some scouting for trees to cut today and we dug dirt and filled holes around the yard. its so nice I even sweept out the barn after everything else. I am planning my spring project now. I wouldn't be suprised if this weather lasted another couple of weeks.

8. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

19 F. here tonight. Stay in and working over my garden plan.

9. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

It has been extremely warm here right on the dividing line of zones 4 & 5. We had about 2 wks of consistant below freezing weather, aside from that it has been 40's and 30's. Generally this time of year, we are 20's & 10's.

This is the greenest December I remember.... :shrug:

I'm not complaining. However I am certain I will be come spring/summer when the Mosquitos are out of control!!!!!

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Here it is the thirtieth of December and we haven't yet had enough of a frost to kill the peppers in my unprotected garden.

Not that I like being cold or anything, but we could do with a hard frost. I've got a mort of weeds needing pulling in the onions rows and they are mostly volunteer tomtoes and peppers!

Our average first frost date for my area is the first of December. Not this year it seems.

.....Alan.

11. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

13° this morning and an inch of snow overnight. It's going to warm up again to the mid 20's over night and low 30's to mid 40's during the day. I have a disappointed child who wants enough snow to go sliding and build forts.

12. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

We have not had any winter to speak of here in west central GA. The broccoli plants were on the verge of bolting due to the warm temps so I had to go ahead and harvest that. I am thinking of planting the sugar snaps now instead of Feb and just see what happens. The cabbage is doing well in spite of the warm temps.

Sherry in GA

13. nandmsmom

nandmsmom Well-Known Member Supporter

So far here in SE Mass we've hardly had a winter yet. We haven't had any snow to speak of and our daytime highs are in the 40's and 50's, which is much warmer than usual.

Heather

14. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

Here in NE georgia we have been having a hard frost at night and up to 70's during the day. Only need a jacket in the AM. I really am hoping for some snow this year.We still have Jan. and Feb. to go can be pretty cold here those months.Wet and icky today!!!

15. mamastars

mamastars Well-Known Member

Warm here in NC. I saw a yellow bell bush in full bloom yesterday! My flower bulbs are up about 2-4 inches. We need some cold weather! Early this morning it was 52 degrees.

16. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Yep Mamastars,
    My bulbs are coming up too and it was 66 when I woke up this a.m. My bees are thinking it's spring too. A prolonged cold snap now could do some serious damage. Theresa.

17. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Think it's Al Gore's fault?

18. Basom

Basom Guest

Here in WNY the temps have been above average and the rain just keeps comming.

19. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

No winter here in CT either ..

Triff ..

20. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

It's been mostly rainy here in NE IL; some cold temps, but not enough to throw things into dormancy. Still have green leaves on some of the raspberries, the garlic thinks it's Spring, and the compost is slowly breaking down.

If we'd had snow instead of the rain, it would be deep on the ground.

My biggest concern is that we get a hard freeze for week to kill off bugs.

Pony!