How's this for a secure homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lt. Wombat, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

2. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Wow! Is Right! Thanks for sharing the link. What a place!

Ozarkguy

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I got my shovel and wire spool welder.... waiting for summer.

dammmit why show me stuff I cant have thats jus mean..

4. While it looks interesting and all that, It is always funny to me why people build these "bunker" homes in the middle of nothing? You could live in a tent out there and be safe from terrorism! The only viable targets are large population centers on the coasts. Now if the house had a closed loop air filtering system in Manhattan, then you'd have something. Not to be a buzzkill but even a cruise missle would render that thing toast. While its ability to survive fire, tornado and earthquake are admirable in a home. The ad seems to place importance on the coming of the end mentality to sell its product. Talking about the new flus and SARS. SARS was a joke. The good old fashioned flu makes SARS look like the cold in total death toll. It seems everyone is always trying to scare the hell out of everyone else. This may be annoying to some but if the whole world or just your country are destroyed, infected or whatever what's the point of having a safe house? You wouldn't be able to go fishing, to the bar, go hunting, watch NASCAR... no sir I don't want to live in that world!! I'd rather go down with the ship:)

5. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

Wow! I bet Froto would like it! :D

mc

6. Prairie dogs build the same thing---but without all of the concrete.

7. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

If you want a safe home and fairly reasonable access to big cities check outh this one http://www.silohome.com/
    Kirk

8. Lt. Wombat
    If this house was in the Black Hills, I would be buying it in a heart beat! I love the look of it and we have been looking at building something similar at least in looks to it. I wouldn't have thought to put in all the security features, but I would live there except that it is in CO. Good to know that there is another South Dakotan here!

9. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

Lt. Wombat
    If this house was in the Black Hills, I would be buying it in a heart beat! I love the look of it and we have been looking at building something similar at least in looks to it. I wouldn't have thought to put in all the security features, but I would live there except that it is in CO. Good to know that there is another South Dakotan here!

I thought I was logged in before, I guess not.

10. Trevilians

Trevilians Well-Known Member

Wonder why the owner is selling???????

11. Soni

Soni Well-Known Member

Locked himself out and is afraid of setting off the automatic defense system trying to climb in a window?

12. d-k-g-1

d-k-g-1 Member

This thing has been up for sale on the net for quite some time... the actual build is quite interesting this design (Performance building systems) is one of the few designs that was actually tested by the government before they banned nuke tests... and I think what some people fail to realize is it isnt going to be the nukes that get you it will be the fallout... I think to many people look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki and don't quite comprehend the power involved in a Thermonuclear warhead... personally I think that they should make the whole government cruise out to the Pacific Atolls every time they come up for re-election just to pop one off so that they will know what kind of power that they really are responsible for...

Dave

13. Pestilence

Pestilence New Member

That house is pretty wicked cool. That rock around it might be the only thing that makes me say that, but I think I would consider buying that if it was within my means.

The price isn't high, but you would have to be to pay it.

14. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Thats what I want after this house blows away in one of our F-4s. One way or another my next house will be a ground shelter. If I survive the tornado , it will have a pit greenhouse on the south east side for gardening and heat. I f I dont it will be a hole for my sweet ash with a black granite stone over my cremains :haha:

15. Stray Cat

Stray Cat Well-Known Member

One could really suffer from cabin fever in that cave. Insteading of spraying concrete, couldn't one dynamite a rock and move in?
    Very well done for what I could see...pricey...

16. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

That is one cool house, and you can tell by the price just how proud they are of it.

17. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Cool house, but I like windows you can look out of too much...

18. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Howdy back at ya. As much as I love the Black Hills I got 2 major job offers I am really considering. One in Southern Florida and the other in Oklahoma.....hard choice :waa: