Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the weather where you are? Off and on coolish and warmish here for the past few weeks. Kinda weird. Tomorrow there are supposed to be violent thunderstorms with high wind and possible hail. I'm wondering what the winter will be like.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Gorgeous. Comfortable temps finally. Best time of the year. A couple wet days coming and cooler nights will get the elk calling and the animals moving. Fall is the best. What follows the next several months starting in late October and ending in late April is not fun. That is the only trouble with fall!

·
Registered
9,787 Posts
We’ve had a fairly consistent, predictable summer. Spring almost seemed like it never arrived until you realized that it had been slowly getting warmer over the course of a couple months. We had a couple weeks in July where it was consistently 90F+, but never a span of more than 10 days or so without rain. August and September have basically been in the 80s, with occasional weeks in the 70s, but never more than a week or so without rain.

If I had to predict this winter, I’d say it’s going to be colder than the rest of the year, with periods of snow mixed in the precipitation.

·
Premium Member
34,549 Posts
80s during the days, 50s overnight. It's starting to cool at night, predicted to be in the upper 40s next week and daytime temps in the mid to upper 70s. It's been dry here lately but rain is forecast in the next few days.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I'm just a wee bit north of the American PNW and we finally got a really good rain last Friday after 3 months of unbearable heat in the low 90's and virtually no rain to speak of. Plus this weekend we now have comfortable temperatures in the low 50's at night and low to mid 70's during the day. The meteorologists here are forecasting it will remain like this for the next couple of weeks. What a relief at last and now I can catch up on the outdoor work I've had to put off through the summer.

There is a lot of smoke everywhere because of all the wildfires here in BC and just south of us in Washington and Oregon. The sunsets are utterly spectacular because of it.

But I'm anticipating that the super-typhoon "Nanmadol" that's presently hammering Japan will do the same as usual after it leaves Japan and will swing over the Pacific and hit the west coast here. They almost always do. So I'm prepping the outdoors for that too but also anticipating that if it comes the heavy rains and wind it brings with it will finally put out all the wildfires. I'm hoping it doesn't cause floods and landslides too.

·
Premium Member
44,525 Posts
We had a wet spring and summer. Looking good here going into fall. Great weather right now for sitting on the porch watching the leaves start to turn. I predict cooler temps, some rain snow during winter with spring following.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Perfect here, too. The temps dropped to 50F last night and got up to 65F today. It was a really nice sunny day too, perfect for sitting outside on a patio in a protected area, having lunch, which is what I did today.
This is my type of weather, I wish we could have four months of fall.

·
newfieannie
10,872 Posts
it's so calm here. i have all the windows open. just a light rain. you wouldn't know that in a few hours we are in for what some stations are calling the worst storm ever to hit nova scotia. i've been preparing all day. definitely lose power. i can handle that though.

just filled my old lamps i have had for over 40 years and trimmed the wicks. they do give out a lot of light. i had them pk'd away and forgotten. keeping my fingers crossed i wont have any damage or at least minimal. lot of people along the coast will. i'm a mile or so away. i keep looking through the window at that monster oak and telling it to stay uoright. waiting for my son to get here now. i have a roast of pork for his supper and an old fashioned baked pudding. that might be all he'll get for a couple days if we are kept busy cleaning up. oops! he's here. all is well! ~Georgia

·
Registered
277 Posts
it's so calm here. i have all the windows open. just a light rain. you wouldn't know that in a few hours we are in for what some stations are calling the worst storm ever to hit nova scotia. i've been preparing all day. definitely lose power. i can handle that though.

just filled my old lamps i have had for over 40 years and trimmed the wicks. they do give out a lot of light. i had them pk'd away and forgotten. keeping my fingers crossed i wont have any damage or at least minimal. lot of people along the coast will. i'm a mile or so away. i keep looking through the window at that monster oak and telling it to stay uoright. waiting for my son to get here now. i have a roast of pork for his supper and an old fashioned baked pudding. that might be all he'll get for a couple days if we are kept busy cleaning up. oops! he's here. all is well! ~Georgia
hope you weather the storm safely!!!

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Prayers going up for @newfieannie (Georgia) hoping that she and her son are okay at her house in Nova Scotia. I was just looking at Canadian news broadcasts, and Nova Scotia has been slammed with unimagineable force, massive land and property damages extensive everywhere and the storm continues. Newfoundland has declared a state of emergency. The newscasters were showing unprecedented scenes of the town of Port aux Basque Nfld. where houses are being dragged or shoved off their foundations and being blown and pulled out to sea and the worst of the storm is still yet to come.

·
Marked safe from the TP famine of 2020.
21,665 Posts
Was hot last week highs in the high 90's for a few days. Last night the low was 48, high 75. Not bad for South Carolina.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts