How's the spring gardening coming along???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a perfect St. Paddy's day here in southern MO...65,sunny with a light breeze. Dirt delivered for our 10 new 3'x16' raised beds and have two planted already...taters,peas,chard,spinach,lettuce,snapdragons, and sweet peas...gotta have flowers in every bed!! Was pleased that the potatoes we set aside for seed were all sprouting vigorously and ready to go. Then I turned to the greenhouse and planted 10 kinds of maters, 8 kinds of peppers,mild and hot, dahlias,cabbage(5 kinds),onions(4 kinds), vincas,petunias,beets. I have learned to love vincas...they take the heat/drought and just keep blooming with no care.
    Need a sit down now!!! DEE

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I'm so jealous! We're lucky to reach the mid-30's, but the sunshine sure is nice. I keep looking out the window to where my raised beds are.....can't see them, but there out there. The snow is still over a foot deep (sigh).

I started lots of seeds indoors. Six types of lettuce, red and green cabbage, garlic chives, flat and curly parsley, basil, marigolds, few other things. I have to wait until April 1st to start 'maters, it's just too early yet.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow...you've been busy! I planted my potatoes today too. Having an awful time with the dogs and cats getting in the raised beds though (I just posted about that). I've got potatoes, English Peas, Arugula, Lettuce and Pumpkins (volunteer) planted. Tomatoes are started in the house. Plan to do so much more, but with the Fibromyalgia and Arthritis I find that I'm considerably slowed down as compared to the last garden I had a few years ago.

4. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I am going to have to learn to garden around our weather here as our springs have become wetter than in the past. It is usually too wet in March and April and by May and June on we are usually cooking. I will be doing a lot of mulching this year. The bugs are already out and about. June bugs are out early as well as mosquitos by the gazillions. I may have to get chickens to keep the grasshoppers under control. However, they would just be a feast for this hawk that thinks my bird feeders are a bird buffet. :(

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Know what you mean Native Rose.....ducks and geese are just a coyote feast around here and chickens outdoors are lunch for the hawks and bald eagles. Our chickens are strictly indoor girls. DEE who wishes everyone could be in their gardens,too :)

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I have a HUGE crop of snow in my garden. I hope to be canning it soon :D

7. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I have peas up and broccoli budding, and bok choi! I only have about two thirds of the garden planted though, need to finish it. I have potatoes planted in trash cans.

hollym

8. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thank you for the laugh. I was getting too serious, and I needed that.

9. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter