Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 14 years ago a fellar bought the land across the road from my driveway and he put in 6 trailer homes and started renting them out. They immediately filled up and have been steady ever since. But here lately I've noticed that 4 out 6 of them are empty, no tennants. I do know the occupants in the first trailer house is still renting it but they are living with his parents. They fell behind on the electricity bill and lost their power and can't get it turned back on till they catch up on the bill. Why the others are staying empty, I don't know. Just wondering if this economy is keeping people from renting also. Been a lot of places around here laying off.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
The rental house next to us is empty. The last renter had a 10 moth rental aggreement but only stayed for 4. They pulled a pull type trailor house up to the front of the house and she put most of her samll stuff in that and all her furniture went onto a flat bed trailer.
I asume her and her other half bought the house trailer to live in and put her stuff in storage.
last time the place was empty in the winter the pipes froze and they had to renovate the whole thing.

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
most single family house rents here are between nine hundred and sixteen hundred a month, one guy that owns a trailer park a few miles from here has nothing but junk for trailers and still gets 650 per month plus utilities.
my BIL law rents out a two family house up in the middle of the village and rented one appartment to a family of mexicans, when he went down to ck the furnace oil, he found that about thirty people were living in the house. I guess he decided to just leave them alone til spring when they could get work and a place to live, long as they kept the place clean and put the trash in the dumpster.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Is if an illegal alien situation? Oklahoma passed a law about putting pressure on illegals. Then the economy took a dump and we have self-deportation. Arizona passed a similar law and they are leaving there, too.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Is if an illegal alien situation? Oklahoma passed a law about putting pressure on illegals. Then the economy took a dump and we have self-deportation. Arizona passed a similar law and they are leaving there, too.
Very true, especially in the smaller towns. A couple of slum lords in the next town over are hurting because all their trailers they added two years ago are empty and still being taxed.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Good renters have become very hard to find. By good I mean one who will do what he has agreed to do, starting with paying the rent.

There seems to be a surplus of folks who just went through a foreclosure. They lost their house because they did not pay the payments (as they agreed to do). Now they want to become somebody's tenant. Major problem is that they are out of the habit of making a monthly payment. The new habit is to pay nothing. Habits are hard to break.

There is a big bunch of folks on the system. Their rent is paid in part or in full by HUD. Some of the HUD renters are fine renters and do not tend to move very often. I guess we are not talking about them right now. Others are just bums. They seem to like to do damage, use booze and drugs, and breed (not necessarily in that order). It seems like complaining and whining is their long suite. Even some of these bums manage to get evicted once in a while. They generally leave a horrible mess requiring extensive repairs, mostly for damage that they have done.

Then there the situations that were mentioned with multiple mobile homes. Often the mobile homes that are set up in little clusters are in poor repair. It is not unusual for them to be in bad enough shape that they do not pass the HUD inspection that is required to be done to qualify for HUD assistance for the tenant.

The only tenant for this kind of unit is often a person who is very
undesirable. He has been evicted often (once is too often), won't work, just generally is not going to do what he has agreed to do. Like pay rent. He is the kind of individual who wants to "work it off" (the rent that is). He will be ready to go as soon as he finishes "sleeping it off".

There are tons of vacant properties around. Some are owned by the banks. They will be on the market a little later on. Some are not fit to live in. Many of them will remain that way until they just fall apart. These are owned by people who are just fed up with being cheated. Some will be struck by lightning, actually an awful lot of them will be fire damaged, sooner or later.

So how is the rental market in my area? I would not wish it on anyone.:viking:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Small town rentals seems to be wide open.... lack of work in the immediate area seems to be the biggest issue that I have heard. Driving more then 20 minutes, while cheaper now, is not sustainable to most people int he current economy.

City rentals are booming. People moving closer/ into the city, people losing their homes, etc, etc are all fulling city rentals.

Granted it might not be true nationwide but this is what we are seeing here in Colorado.

We ourselves have been looking to buy a house now, the good ones that are city accessible are going fast, but those that are a 45-60 minute drive down the moutain to get into the city are having price drops left and right and sitting on the market for months and months if not years.
We are not in a poistion to be more than a 30 minute drive to central Denver, thus we stay were we are for the timebeing.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Around here there is so much churn in the rental places. People move in, live stop paymnet get evicted, move on to the next house. Its sad, I pick up kids in our church van, one group of kids moves about every 4 months.

·
Registered
453 Posts
We've had three rental houses for almost 10 years.. We had very few problems for most of that time, but the last 2 years has not been good. We've been left with an unbelievable amount of garbage and personal junk, have had to evict once, the police have been called for domestic violence, extremely poor payers (sent to collections) and people causing trouble for the neighbors... We've tightened up w/references but still have problems.

On the other hand, rental properties are in short supply here.. People are looking for places away from the cities.. so we just have to be more discriminating, I guess.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I found that in the past 2-4 years, people that I would normally NOT rent to were easily approved to buy new homes. Now a little later they are on the streets again. House foreclosed on, and looking for a "soft" landlord to rent from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts