Homesteading Forum banner

How're your hay prices lookin'?

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  ksfarmer 
#1 ·
I put in four tons last week:

2T. orchard [all we have is one cutting up here] at $120 per, loaded by rancher in field, 77# bales [26 to T.]. $4.61 per bale.

2T. clover and Timothy @ $100 per, 50-55# bales. [36 to T.] delivered and stacked in 100 degree heat, no less. $2.63 per bale.

To me, these were good prices, given what last year's cost me!!! Made for really expensive meat and milk.

#2 ·
I only buy small squares. We just put up 2nd cutting, high quality alfalfa at $3.00 per bale.
I still have another 150 bales to buy and then I'm done. I won't need nearly as much hay this winter as my steers are going to freezer camp this fall.

#6 ·
230 dollars per ton plus 20 dollars for delivery and stacking for alfalfa, grass hay is more expensive. LOCAL grass hay, not the greatest stuff is about 110 per ton picked up in the field...hay is expensive here!

#9 ·
I got a call this morning from the head of our local community college learning farm-last year I asked to be put on their hay list. had to drive 54ish miles to the Avenue of the Giants in Shively to get it, but got 32 bales squished into my trailer and truck, about 70 pounds each of labeled organic alfalfa/pasture hay for $6 each. I joked with my neighbor that now I can charge boutique meat prices for my goats.I figured out with gas included, I paid about $200/ton...still cheaper than the feed store.....and hubbie unloaded for me...and THEN he made me a margarita! I think I'll keep him around :)

#10 ·
Costal hay ( what most people up north call straw) is running us 7/8 a med bale
alf - med bale is running 16.00
T&A - Small bale is 12.00
Cost has come down some since we have gotten rain. but only about a buck a bale. ( which was 4.00 last year)

For the people that buy it by the ton.

2000 / 50 lbs bales = 40 x 16 = 640.00 ton for alf

#12 ·
I probably have 40 tons laying in the field. The guy that cut and raked it has not been back to bale it. It turns out he's a bit of a flake, and I'll not be using him again. It makes me sick to see all that hay go to waste.

I only have 3 pygmy goats, but I had planned on buying some cattle this fall. Hopefully I will be able to get a decent second cutting (if it ever stops raining here in SE Oklahoma).

#14 ·
Just bought good 2nd cutting alfalfa for 2.40 per small square bale. We have been very fortunate to have well timed rains this year. There's some field corn that's 8 to 9 feet tall.

#17 ·
Where you located, mtman? We are in Sharp County. We baled for others this Spring for half the hay, the first cutting we got 96 round bales, we only need 50 for our own stock, next cutting will be just as much so we will be selling hay this winter. We've got too many (useless)animals(horses) plus two angus heifers, a steer and two goats on our own land! Nothing to cut and bale, they eat it all! lol

#19 ·
We just bought 451 small squares of 2nd cut alfalfa for $2.25/bale. We're already feeding though and will need to buy more. We have three cows, a bull and one baby calf. Usually only have to feed hay from November 1 through May 1 with April being mixed hay and graze. I don't think rain will help us anymore this year! We're about 20 miles north of Madison, Wi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.