Howdy Everyone!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cfabe, Feb 27, 2005.

1. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Thought I'd introduce myself, I just registered for the forum.

Names Chris, I'm 22 and fresh out of college, stuck in suburbia right now but I'm making decent money now so hopefully I can buy some country land in a couple years. Unfortunately in my line of work I'll probably always have to work near a larger city, but there's still some open land left 45min-1hr away from my current job, so that has promise. In the meantime, I'll live my homesteading life vicariously through you all and hope to pick up lots of good knowledge along the way.

2. dustyangel

dustyangel Member

I've been out of school for almost two years and had the same problems. My job kept me in the city while my heart longed for the country. Last spring my hubby and I bought a 5-acre place just out of the city so I could keep my horses in my yard like I did growing up. Our place is only 30 miles from downtown where I work, but morning traffic makes my drive in about an hour. It's worth it though :)

Good luck in your endeavors.

3. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Chris. IF you were my son or daughter, I'd tell you to get to know about homesteading by caretaking or animal watching for folks who live in that rural area about 45 min away. That way, you can learn about the area, meet the folks who live there. Good, dependable caretakers are so hard to find that you could make a few extra bucks for a little exra effort and a place to stay (often). You can learn from people who are living the life you want to live.
    Also, they can tell you who is selling out or where the auctions are.

Save your money--you will need it to by land near a big city. Go to rural auctions and start buying your tools now cheaply. Also, find out about farm/property foreclosures. If you are handy, you may be on some land sooner than you thought.

Welcome.

4. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello Chris and Dusty

Welcome.

You'll find lot's of helpful countrysides here. Remember to check the archives, and use the search feature to see if previous or ongoing dicussions are of help to you.

We bought property almost 7 hours from my job. We're gonna hang on for 4 more years, so I will get a full pension, and medical benefits. In about 18 months we're going to relocate in West Virgnia, so that it's a 2 hour drive to work, and a 4 hour drive to our place. This past fall we had a 24 by 24 foot foundation poured. This Summer we can begin to build our vertical log cabin.

RicK