How'd you name your farm/ranch?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MillsFarmFamily, Nov 27, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We are trying to come up with a name for our farm/ranch that everyone in our family agrees on, but it's not as easy as it would seem. How did you come up with your names?

2. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

My friend named his farm after the families dog, it is "Jake's Farm" No problem with anybody in that case. I myself named my farm "Gaelic Farms" after my Irish back ground. My daddy named his "The Farm" after what all his city sisters always called it when asking how things where at the farm. I guess you could say we are not a bunch of creative folks in the Currin family when it comes to naming a place that takes all of your life, while giving you, all of your life. When you settle on a name, it will just feel right.

3. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Well.. Our last name is Clover.
    And my boys often say in their best "Tough Men voices" when they are charged up... "This Is CLOVER Country!!!"
    soooo
    Clover Country Farms it was.
    I did come here and ask for ideas too.. but everyone agreed, the boys were right :)

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I knew exactly what I wanted to name it. But I also know my husband needs choices...lots of them. So, I offered him ten choices. Nope, didn't like any of them. After lists and lists of potential names, and almost a year of time, I finally cornered him on a trip last spring. I told him he was going to have a miserable trip if he didn't either help me choose a name (he had never offered a single name), or allow me to do the choosing, and shut up about it. He agreed to help me choose. (he'd never give me actual 'control' over something like that...he must have the fianl word!) Told me to start thinking up names and tell him, but he'd decided he'd prefer one that had something to do with the property.

What did he choose? My very first choice from a year before. We are Hollow Oak Farm...named for the huge old oak in the front yard.

Geez...husbands!
    Meg

5. cherig22

cherig22 Active Member

Just purchased our 5 acres in NE Arizona, will be moving there next spring, I hope, lol. I had the name long before the property.....

Este Lugar de Suenos

This Place of Dreams

Cheri

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Physical feature on the property.... Hidden Creek Farm Market Actually we have 2 creeks both of which are hidden - one because it's buried in the back of the property and the other is hidden when I've neglected to trim the grasses running along it....

PS: It wasn't quite that simple - we had a list also...

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Several years ago I thought and thought and couldn't come up with a good name....although in year's past I had a great name for our now-defunct Christian bookstore (the Carpenter's shop) and for our then-weekly newspaper (The Plumb Line) but I just couldn't seem to come up with a good name for our homestead that "felt" right...

We live on a state highway but a county road turns right by one corner of our property....it is called Old Field Road.....so we started calling this place Old Field Farm and the name now seems natural!

best wishes!

8. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

When I kept children in my home I always called them my little "Hunny Bunnies" so now that I am raising rabbits our place is Hunny Bunny Farm.

9. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Exactly, there is a abandoned homestead near the ATV trails about 5 miles away that is called "Cedar Farms" because there were many Cedar trees! :nerd:

10. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Ours was "easy"... after living in Russia, and knowing the dacha (summer home that many apartment dwellers have - they at least garden it, plus may raise chickens or even feeder pigs on - usually it's about a 1/2 acre, some even have small orchards), we called our place Nasha Dacha (our Dacha) even though it's our permanent living and we have about 14 acres.

During Soviet times, Dacha's made up 5 percent of the land (probably still do), but some years they provided 50 percent of the produce and meat. Again, during Soviet times, they could always sell their "extra". Still today in any of the cities (and towns) of the Russian Federation (and Kazakhstan) from spring to fall, there are always people selling their "extra's" at the entrances to subways as well as markets (or just street corners where the bus stops).

Like the dacha, we grow things for the winter! (and cut our own wood for winter too). Like the dacha it's the pleasure and relief of being out of the city too. And the outstanding peace and quiet (just like the Russian Dacha)

Pat

11. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

I named our place after our two dogs, Blaze and Gunner, Hench, Blazing Guns Ranch.

12. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

I love this thread! I really enjoy hearing how everyone came to name their place.
    We're in the same boat as MillsFarmFamily, still pondering names for our homestead. We've only been here a lit'l over a month, I know it'll take some time to come up with a name that fits....we need to live here awhile, see what we see and think of etc....but I'm so ready for a name that fits!

These are some o' the 'attributes' I've been listing to help with name ideas:

*lots o' pine trees, lots o' maple trees, several trees I'm unsure of as yet, a holly tree and one walnut tree

*lots n lots o' pinecones

*on a hill

*several hawks that we can watch hunt on a daily basis

We'll see what happens.....

~~

13. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

The name for our place was staring me in the face for 5 years. DUH!!!

My birthday is Nov 4, DH's birthday is Nov 4. (handy.....ain't it: :) )

So, Topaz Farm it is.

14. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

We tried to come up with some characteristics of our land also. We went through a bunch of names:

Briar Scratch Acres
    Ivy Rash Ranch
    Leaky Fence Farms (names for our goats who have no fear of getting shocked)

we finally came up with PineBerry Farms since the farm is covered with pines and wild blackberries.

15. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

DH and I raised miniature donkeys for several years. When the babies are born, they are about Knee High (NeHi) and they say "Hee Haw" (HeHa).

DH passed away last year, and I no longer raise the little darlings, but I do like the name, and will probably shorten it to NeHi Farm.

NeHi Mama

16. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

We chose a name that has lots to do with DH's profession..he does computers. So any who have done any support work will be familiar with the abbreviation.

R...read
    T...the
    F...freakin'
    M...manual

17. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I considered naming the farm after the creek. Castle Creek Farm. But decided not to, so if I moved I could keep the name. I didn't use my name because I was engaged, didn't use SO's name because it wasn't his farm. Decided on Little Bit Farm. Because <G> I have a little bit of this and a little bit of that!

Kathie

18. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO - I can certainly relate!

19. OK Yankee

OK Yankee Well-Known Member

We decided on Middle Age Spread for our place in Oklahoma. A little bit of humor that some people don't get. Actually the humor comes from the people that don't get it. We have also seen Oleo Acres, The Cheaper Spread. Thought that was cute, too. Yankee

20. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Mush first names togeather Gary and Leisa (pronounced lisa)'s farm is Garlei farms.