Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we removed about 70 trees on our property. We have a mix of pines, fir, cedar, madrone and oaks that have been stripped and stacked. Ideally, I'd like to find a logging company or a backyard lumber mill that would take it all. I don't want to sell individual logs as I see that more of a liability risk. Whereas if I could find the right outfit with the need and equipment to take it all..that would be great. With that said, I'm trying to figure out a starting point on price..any suggestions?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,682 Posts
Lots of factors figure in to timber. Straightness, branches, damage, diameter, length, etc.

I don’t think that pile will meet enough of a lumber buyer’s criteria to be very valuable.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You have a really large mix of species for that to be valuable to a timber outfit. It would have to be shipped to several different mills, basically a waste of a logging company's time. Not many trees in the grand scheme of things either. They prefer green wood too. You can salvage it for firewood but thats about it.
Your madrone will bring top dollar as firewood

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You have a really large mix of species for that to be valuable to a timber outfit. It would have to be shipped to several different mills, basically a waste of a logging company's time. Not many trees in the grand scheme of things either. They prefer green wood too. You can salvage it for firewood but thats about it.
Your madrone will bring top dollar as firewood
Not worth picking up. Use as your own BBQ wood.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
There is a woman on Facebook that has a similar stack of oak and poplar for sale as firewood for $100 in our area. It is stuff cut out from an ice storm 6 weeks ago. So far no takers.
The mills don’t want logs unless the are fresh cuts.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
There is a woman on Facebook that has a similar stack of oak and poplar for sale as firewood for $100 in our area. It is stuff cut out from an ice storm 6 weeks ago. So far no takers.
The mills don’t want logs unless the are fresh cuts.
I have my own trees that i use for lumber for my mill. I do buy small amounts of Walnut. Have always got a good price for my Black Walnut. Most mills will not buy small amount of logs that has been cut. Most have not been cut right and have a lot of rocks etc. from skidding to pile up. you have 20 plus acres of good Pine or Oak some is still being used by mills. Big surplus of logs and lumber at mills now a lot of mills are going out of business. The retailer as always is making a big profit on lumber . There is no shortage of finish lumber from the wholesalers. Just a big rip off by big retail stores. The retailer makes the most on lumber with less work.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
That is a good point. If I hauled it home and cut, split, stacked and seasoned it, what is it worth to me?
I use cedar and oak on wood working projects and furniture, but if I am in the biz it has to factor into the costs. Selling trees around us is akin to selling sand on the beach.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the feedback. I was thinking about $500 so I'm more or less in the same ballpark as others are thinking too. Now let's hope I can find someone to take them all.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I paid about $500 for 110 8ft oak logs, delivered. I cut this and split for firewood. But with lumber prices as they are, it might be worth it to have some cut up in 2x4's for your own lumber.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I'd be very happy to buy them for firewood.

Call the local mill and ask if they want them. You would have to deliver them.

Try putting an ad on Craigslist and see if you can find a guy with a portable saw mill. Either pay him to come and turn those into boards or else maybe he would buy them from you, or else share crop them with you.

I wish that H-T would put location on our notes. What those logs are worth vary a huge amount by where they are located.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I thought he was in California?? Several years ago, I saw Madrone in the northern part of the state selling for $400 per cord. I have not seen any for sale in quite a long time now. It's a lot of work to process the logs into firewood but the madrone in particular might just be worthwhile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts