How would you make a box look like a barn?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LagoVistaFarm, May 3, 2006.

1. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

After two months of pretty much constant rain it cleared up a week ago. We’ve spent the past week getting the mess cleaned up and chickens out on pasture.

We’ve been on a waiting list for power installation (well pump) for 10 months at the nearby new farm and it looks like its going to go a few more with all the storm damage and delays. So much for field crops this summer. We’ll grow as much as we can at the house. I had quite a bit of seed potatoes that need to be put in the ground and no room so we went over to the farm today. We spaded a bed and the kid got out the backhoe to dig troughs to plant them in (we’ll haul water for that one bed).

About six o’clock a woman is walking down the driveway with a red piece of paper in her hand. She asked what we were doing with the backhoe. I told her planting tatters. She was from the county and had a stop work order in her hand which she promptly tried to hide.

The county had received a complaint that we were building without a permit. Since we’re on a scenic corridor every structure over 200-sq. ft. needs approval. They said we can have an Ag exemption on all the structures under the 200 feet, but we need a form for each including the doghouse. Tomorrow we fill out about 25 of them. (4) 8 x 20 storage containers. (10) ? chicken tractors (1) doghouse (8) straw bale/adobe chicken casitas.

The construction around her is so nuts they can’t keep up with it. When I moved here 11 years ago there were 4000 people in about 90 square miles. This past year they have been permitting 100 new home per month.

Because we are supposed to keep the place tidy we placed 4 storage containers in two rows with a 14 foot space between them. We are going to put fencing at both ends. This will house all the farm implements, tools, feed etc. Now they want to know if we can make it look like more like a barn. We don’t want to build a permanent barn until we have a better handle on the property. We are thinking of stacking the hay storage on the side facing the highway and planting a hedge of Thuja Green Giant Cedar. Five years down the road we can either build a barn behind them or cut them for fire wood.

Do any of you have other idea on how to make something look like a barn?

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Nice neighbors you have. Who complained?

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

This looks like it will be a never-ending deal. They can build 100 houses a month, but you can't build anything else.... Not sure I'd even want to start there. Sell & move to a friendly place.

You can take 2 of the containers, put them about 10 feet apart (or whatever) and put trusses over the top. Roof the trusses, and you will have 2 secure containers, with an covered storage space down the middle. Looks more like a building with the roof. Of course, I'm sure something will be wrong with that idea too.

--->Paul

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Sit down and seriously think about whether this is the way you want to live for the next 20 years.

My answer would be NO!

Move.

5. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

When you snatch the moving permit from my hand, grasshopper, the problem will be solved. Seriously, why continue when you know it's only going to get a lot worse. Why stay in a place when you need a permit to excersize your right to farm in peace? Chances are the place is worth a fortune and you could get something much better, for less money, in a place where you are not viewed as a nuciance? Once the McMansions are on the same street it's too late.

6. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

My goodness..I'd be so tempted to get some cardboard, staple it up to 2X4's, paint it red and stencil the letters BARN on it.

7. LagoVistaFarm

I had a meeting with the County folks today. I pounded in the For Sale sign this afternoon. They wanted the dog house to go though design approval.

8. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

Move to Texas County Missouri. Besides being the most beautiful place on earth (severley biased opinion), there are NO building codes. You can bribe any utility company with an Amish made pie, and have water, electricity within a month. Oh, the land price is considered high if you pay over 2,000 an acre. The people are real nice, even to x-californian's. Just be sure to bring a couple truck loads of good topsoil off your old place.

9. LagoVistaFarm

Thanks for all the good advice and kind words. The family is in absolute shock. Our love for this piece of land being ripped from us has us in tears. We need to stay on the West Coast for family so we'd love to hear suggestions on farm friendly places.

Stan

10. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

I feel so badly for you..cannot imagine living anywhere that encroaches upon personal freedom in such a manner. I don't have any knowledge whatsoever about the West Coast that's not 45 years out of date..All I know is that here in Missouri, and in Alabama, people would be shot for even suggesting legislation such as that.

11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Not being an expert I can tell you that I have found Oregon and Washington costal areas to be just like No. Cal costal areas as far as building issues. You are gonna have to move inland some. Maybe look at any small rural county that you come across. Need to find someplace that has not yet "bloomed" with residential building and subdivisions. I was just thinking of our area and for the life of me the only county on the west side of the state that has not blown up is Deer Lodge county. And this county is also on the edge of blowing up as is Silver-bow county (where Butte MT. is).

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Was just thinking, there are some places in northern arizona that might meet your needs to. The land looks pretty barren but I am told they have an excellent water table.

13. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

When land is needed for encroaching development, the government will get fierce with dumb regulations to squeeze you either out or into compliance with the newer structures in the neighborhood. I only hope I pass on before the congestion comes to our place or I win the lottery and can buy an island.

Maybe we will have to all band together and buy a third world country.

14. citilivin

citilivin Well-Known Member

Lago, although the county "wanted" you to make the containers look like barns, ask them directly what the requirements are. Just because they "want" you to do something does not mean you must. Get a copy of your local ordinance and ask specific questions. Unless your dog house is the size of a home this does not make sense. Don't allow the county to itimidate you. You would be surprised what these agencies will do to try and intimidate you. I'm in the Bay Area and deal with various counties on a regular basis. Just be careful, when you agree to something you generally give up your rights. I would rather fight than give up.

15. LagoVistaFarm

Citi, we still don't know the truth of whats going on but this area is a little different than most of the state. People still take their mules through the drive through lane at Jack in Box while others are building multi-million dollar wine estates. What actually happens and whats on the books are very often very different. The head of the planning department (she processes rabbit fryers illegally btw) sent a dogcatcher over to our property to inspect our pastured chickens. I drove up and he was inside of the pen with the birds. We have no trespassing signs posted and this guy knew nothing about birds. We aren't real happy that he didn't make an appointment and we don't know what other animals he may have been in contact with and transmit onto our flock.

It is a small number of people causing this stir, while most of our neighbors are working on a petition to send to the County requesting them to assist us in our farm.

16. djb473

djb473 Well-Known Member

you should have held him at gun point and then had him arrested for tresspassing even a police officer cant search your property with out a search warrent i would contact an atterney and see why your being harrassed by local goverment you mite have a law suit on them and could stand to make them pay after all it is cally

17. LagoVistaFarm

You are correct about search legalities. I'm just a little more leary pulling a gun on a law enforsement officer who was really just doing his job. He's actually a very nice man that I'd really hate to have this BS pinned on. He spent time learning what he did not know. He knew about cornish cross's. He agrees they are ready to kill. No need for protection.

The good side is that 90% of the imediate neighbors are sighning a petition in our favor.