Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our regular route person seems to do the job well, but when she has a substitute all bets are off.

This weekend we knew we had a package from Amazon coming, and were going to be gone Friday and Saturday. I ordered a mail hold for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday so if they messed up Thursday I could call them. I also told the regular carrier I had put on a mail hold.

Mail was held Thursday. We went on our trip and came home to learn mail had been delivered on Friday anyway. (Regular carrier on vacation.) The box with the books and CD had been delivered. Thankfully it appears the sun did not warp the CD nor did the books get wet.

However, the box was jammed between the storm door and regular door. The door would not shut and catch. Windstorm had hit and ripped the door closer loose from the sill, bent it to heck and gone, broke the safety chain, and tore its moorings also loose from the sill.

I contacted the PO immediately. They were to call back this morning. It is mid afternoon, no call. I plan to call them in a few minutes.

I figure they should repair it (ha ha!) or at least pay for parts. (Again, I know, fat chance.) Since this is a regular problem and since the local route supervisor and the local postmaster take the attitude of "oh well, you cannot get good help these days for what we pay", what is my next step?

Mainly I want to use the damages as leverage to maybe get them to pay attention to mail holds. Of course, repairs/reimbursement would be nice.

Your ideas?

Let me add I cannot lock the storm door when I leave the house, as it does not unlock with a key.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
First, as with all government programs with infinite tax base, no matter what independence the PO declares, monitary threats are no motivation to individuals.

I imagine there is a form to submit for damages. I would get that form and send it to them with whatever documentation you have that the door was alright until the person delivered inappropriately. Get whatever proof you can find (internet pictures?) of the replacement cost and pictures of the damaged door as it stands.

But first I would see if I can get ahold of your regular carrier and ask him politely what you should do.

As to getting it right- well if you get an answer to that, maybe I can use it to get the contracted mail carrier to deliver the mail to the right address.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I suppose the next step would be to take your problem up the chain, and talk to somebody a little less local about it. Another option might be to talk to your regular carrier, and see if she has any suggestions. Sometimes those folks can tell you what you need to do to get a problem taken care of, where their supervisor or the customer service desk will tell you "sorry, nothing can be done".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Doubt anyone will care Nodak3, they sure don't where I live.

I'm rural and thus have a mailbox out by the road. After several years of abuse (from the local snow plow) I installed a new one. I backed this one up about 6 feet so as to be out of the snow plow's range. The other day I found my new box twisted on its frame with the door hanging from one hinge. Fresh tracks in the mud in front of it point to the PO delivery person. My guess is she miss-guaged the new location and hit it wiuth the truck.

OK, stuff happens right? But what gripes me was the complete lack of responsibility shown. I would have thought a note of apology would be in order? But nope, nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Let us know how this works out--we can't even get the regular carrier to deliver mail to the right address. She has been on the route 20+ years, we have lived here that long and so has the neighbor. it takes real talent to mess it up after all this time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Doubt anyone will care Nodak3, they sure don't where I live.

I'm rural and thus have a mailbox out by the road. After several years of abuse (from the local snow plow) I installed a new one. I backed this one up about 6 feet so as to be out of the snow plow's range. The other day I found my new box twisted on its frame with the door hanging from one hinge. Fresh tracks in the mud in front of it point to the PO delivery person. My guess is she miss-guaged the new location and hit it wiuth the truck.

OK, stuff happens right? But what gripes me was the complete lack of responsibility shown. I would have thought a note of apology would be in order? But nope, nothing.
The county road superintendent hit ours with a snowplow. When we called to ask about it, the receptionist informed us that it's not their policy to repair/replace mailboxes that they've hit. He did eventually kinda sorta pound it back into roughly the shape of a mailbox and stick it back into the ground. I suspect only because my sister is married to his nephew, and things would have been awkward otherwise.

Reactions: OUVickie

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I'm thinking you are going to be out of luck with the door. Even showing pictures of the damage does not PROVE that the damage was caused because of the package that shouldn't have been delivered.

But, I would still go to the post office - you might as well because I'm guessing they are putting off your call as long as they can. Get the paperwork you need and fill it out for damages - even if they say "It's not our fault / our problem."

When your local post office does nothing, start going up the chain of command - while I'm guessing they aren't going to take the blame for the door, I'm guessing someone up higher on the food chain won't be happy to find out that a "Hold mail" tag was ignored.

With all the problems the postal service is having, they aren't going to like the fact that a "hold mail" was ignored.

And the next time you expect a package and aren't going to be around, go down to the post office and demand the post master of your local post office be there as you fill out the hold tag, hand it to them, and remind them of this past incident and there better not be another.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
When I was a kid sometimes our hired route person had issues. The local postmaster didn't do anything but let me tell you when the regional postmaster heard of the issues EVERYTHING was taken care of.

Sometimes you just need to go up the ladder a bit till you find a person who cares.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called yesterday, was told the supervisor hadn't talked to the PM yet, but would right then and call back in 15 minutes. Still waiting.

If we haven't gotten a call back by the middle of the week, we intend to contact the regional PM.

We are the only house on the block getting mail at the door. The rest were made to get rural route boxes. We offered to do so and were told the PM would not allow our one house to do so. We've offered to put some sort of bin or box for parcels--just tell us what is allowed and we will do so. Nope, not approved by the PM.

A few years ago we had trouble with all our business mail--bills, bank statements, etc, being delivered opened. Finally mailed a letter (after several mailed locally) in another town to the regional PM. Voila, no more opened mail.

We never mail anything from the house. You can put it in the route person's hand and it still disappears--this after 3 different regular route carriers, so it isn't just one person.

Our regular gal is very good. We let her pick from our garden and get pretty good service. Before her, we got lots of the neighbors mail. With her, less lost mail and not getting the neighbors' mail.

But when she is on vacation or off for a couple of days, it seems the relief hands are just out to see how much they can mess up.

Yeah, probably time to contact the regional PM again.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
We use to have the worst mail man in the world. Good luck getting your mail. We started leaving him goodies like cookies, soda drawings from the kids. Now we get our mail. Well except the weekends when he's gone. We live in bfe.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
File a complaint with your Postmaster. You can look up who it is here http://webpmt.usps.gov/pmt002.cfm . I had to do this a couple of times and it gets the locals attention. If the local Postmaster doesn't help then go to the U.S. Postmaster, that tends to get everyone off their booties. I learned this from my Dad, a retired postal carrier. Don't fix the door, or at least take pictures.

·
Premium Member
25,279 Posts
Mail holds are supposed to take place at the local post office. The carrier should NOT be given mail for a person who has requested a hold. The local PO is the place to complain to and about. If you get no response from them, contact the regional office. File for damages due to neglect. It may or may not get you anywhere but you can try.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Our mail person leaves every box/package on my neighbors porch. Even things that might fit in the box. Luckily now my neighbor is too old and ill to care. Some time ago she would bring the packages inside to be nice....but then forget she ever saw them! Don't know how many times I've tracked missing packages to find out they were delivered to her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts