Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going camping this coming weekend. Don't really plan on doing any pole fishing but thought I might take along my float tube and set out a few limblines on the river I will be camping at. Just a handfull....a half a dozen maybe. But I got to thinking "What if I catch a 20 - 30 pound cat?" How would I get that big old thing off the limbline and back to the gravel bank in a float tube? Any ideals or should I just wait and see if that happens?

I think I need to buy me a canoe? I have a flat bottom boat but since I don't ever get together with my fishing buddies anymore I rarely use it anymore. Too heavy just for me to load and unload it anymore.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I have an 11ft old town canoe
I can tell you a big cat even in a canoe can be a royal pain .
I lost a very nice flat head because I couldnt get it in the canoe or close to shore . I now carry a club and stun the fish though Im looking for a impact stun gun . I also started carrying a stringer ( some idiot didnt have on in the canoe :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would say the stringer would be the best. Just put it it on and then un hook it, tie it to your tube abd you got him.

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
Do you wear swim fins? They multiply your power.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
r.h. in okla. said:
But I got to thinking "What if I catch a 20 - 30 pound cat?" How would I get that big old thing off the limbline and back to the gravel bank in a float tube? Any ideals or should I just wait and see if that happens?

Does the limb line have only one line straight down to the bottom? If so, I would float out to the limb line with a long rope attached to shore. Tie the rope to the limb line and cut the limb. Head back to shore with the float tube and pull in the big cat on rope that's attached to the limb line. make sense? :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I shouldn't try to do any limblining with a float tube. I've hauled in some big cats that just about beat the sides off the flat bottom boat. I got a feeling that if I get a really big cat I might look like a giant bobber going under.

Carry a club with me sounds like a good ideal. Except if it's a flathead I'll have to make sure its at least 21 inches or I have to release him. Maybe I shouldn't try it at all. I got to thinking from previous experience with limblining I've had to wrestle them out from under the boat. They'll swim under the boat to try to get away. If one does that while I'm in a float tube I could get the hook impaled in me or the tube. That wouldn't be fun at all!

I'll just take a pole with me and just fish from the bank! Thanks for your ideals anyway.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm back from my campout and didn't do any limblining at all. It ended up being such a miserable campout. Weather was too hot for my wife. My oldest daughter is not into camping anymore. The two smaller kids swam too long and got sunburned, and I got tired of hearing everyone complaining about everything. So we came home early.

I think from now on I'll just be camping out on my own. I'll pick a date and tell everyone where I'm going and how long I'll be there and that they can go and do what ever they want to do on the same weekend. Maybe then I'll be a happy camper.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah come on cowgirl, you didn't have to kick me while I was down on the ground!~ Gee! :Bawling:

Ed, I think I would rather die from some excitment then to die from cabin fever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts