How would you cook this turkey?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

How would handle this?

25 pound turkey hen -- I had to remove a lot of the skin due to breast blisters. Meat looks just fine underneath. I'm worried that the meat will dry out upon cooking -- anyone have any suggestions?

Incidently, this was my first time butchering anything bigger than wild quail. Except for the small kitchen fire, things went well. I got my neighbors to help -- they're from rural Mexico (the husband says he's from a town two days by horseback to the nearest road!) and I gather they've butchered birds assembly line before. Two giant turkeys took about twenty minutes to do, total.

(Note to self: Clean the grease out from under the burner I never use BEFORE boiling a giant pot of water on it.)

Leva

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Rub it with mayonnaise before you cook it. I always do that.

3. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

I would cook it in a roaster. Cover it in cheap, fatty bacon and put about an inch of chicken broth or water in the pan. that should keep it moist.

Kurt

4. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Member

Stuff with bread dressing and put it in an oven bag with a can of cream of mushroom soup, some chopped celery and onion. Season to taste. 350* oven for 2.5 - 3 hours should do it. Pour drippings into a pan and add flour to make a gravy. Then invite me over for dinner. :)

5. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I was just going to cook a butt portion of ham plus a turkey breast for Thursday but grown son got a huge turkey where he works....so now I know exactly how to cook it. The mushroom soup idea sounds great and I've already got a browning bag! thanks---this wasn't my thread but like so many other times it sure has helped!