how will he fair?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by PygmyLover, Dec 19, 2006.

1. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Ok a friend of mine was given a sheep and a goat. They already had 2 goats. Well the goat that came with the sheep died (not sure what from) and she offered me the other no so good looking goats (in need of care). My question is how will the sheep fair by himself for a few days before they get him to a new home? I want these goats NOW because they need my attention. They don't plan on keeping the sheep by himself for long but he may have to be for a few days.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

He will be miserable. Mine go crazy if they cant be with another sheep. (or goat in his case) Plus, if they just had one goat die, maybe you should wait to see if the others have caught something. Maybe you could treat them there for a while until they get rid of the sheep, or until you can determine why the goat died, and you can make sure youre not bringing home some disease problems. If you already have some animals you could be putting them at risk by rushing to bring in new ones in bad condition. Or if you dont already have animals at your place, bring the sheep too since you say it will only be a few days until someone takes him. But thats just my opinion

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I guess I'd hesitate to bring their animals onto my property as well. As for the sheep, yeah, it'll cry a lot.

4. PygmyLover

Well I have weighed to odds I know what I am doing with the goats. I have already treated them at her place but they need more then once a week or once every two weeks of care. I can't get to her place more often because of work (2 jobs) and going to school at night.

the sheep doesn't hang with the goats - he is pretty much a loaner. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Even if the sheep keeps to himself, he still has the company of the goats close by. My sheep and goats tend to keep to themselves, but if I try to separate them they all complain about it - they're still all part of the herd.

If you have an area you can isolate the newcomers in to treat them, I'd bring the sheep along as well until he can find a new home.

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I've had sheep alone; no one ever died from it, but they sure weren't happy. If you have to leave it, you have to leave it. Shouldn't be hard for your friend to give away a sheep.

7. PygmyLover

she may have a home for the sheep. I am waiting till after the first of the year to get the goat unless we can determine if the sheep is fixed or not.........is that hard to tell, would it be like you tell for goats? She seems too think not. I am confused by that.

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If he's fixed it will be easy to tell. Either he will have testicles or he wont, if it was done correctly.

9. PygmyLover

yah that is what I thought but the 4H sheep people she talked to said it would be difficult to know. Ok those people need to take a sheep anatomy!