Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first 2 batches didn't all fill out well, so I would like to help the next 2, especially since it's not all tasseling at once. I've seen or heard (on a tv program) of using a paint brush and brushing the tassels, then the silks. At what point do you do this? Are there colorations in the tassel to look for? How many days is the pollen "active" and how many times/days do I need to do the brushing? I hope someone else here knows!

Thanks,
mamagoose

L

·
0 Posts
How are you planting the rows? If you only have 1 or 2 long rows, they will pollinate poorly.

Plant several short rows so that they are in a square or fat rectangle, and they should then pollinate properly. Corn is wind pollinated. It has to be situated in such a way that the wind can do it's work.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
This worked for me when I was planting corn. I usually planted six, short rows at a time, once the ears have fresh silk and the tassels are starting to brown I would walk through the rows and shake the tassels over the other corn stalks. Do this every few days. Wear long sleeves, pants and gloves as some are sensitive to the corn. If the silk is drying(turning brown) on the ears then your are pretty much out of time for pollinating at that point.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have my corn planted in one double row which are about 18" apart. It looks like there is pollen on the leaves, but when I shake the tassels into a brown bag it doesn't look like there is any, just the rice-like portions are falling off. Some of the stalks have a tassel, but don't even look like they have an ear yet. They are beautiful tall and strong looking stalks.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
Mamagoose. Read the above post again...double rows aren't much good for pollination....very minimum is four rows, but like the other person said...a block is better...good advise for next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts