Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a Home Show today and saw tons of furniture made out of......I'm guessing pine and I know some was oak. It got me thinking about making my own furniture for certain areas of the house, but the majority of wood I have is Cottonwood from the cotton trees I took out last year and have several more that could come out. Is it hard enough for building? If so, is there a special treatment for it for longevity? Any ideas?? :confused:

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mousecat, Apparently it is a soft wood, I checked it yesterday and by pressing hard with a thumbnail it with made an slight impression. I am just starting out with wood working (now that I've had 3 christmases of everyone just buying me tools :) ) so far all I have built before was outdoor structures--barn, chicken coop etc. and have wanted to get started on crafting indoor pieces as well. Thanks!!

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had noticed the bark still on the cut ones from last year comes off real easy, which is good for me b/c if I use it for a furniture I'll want the bark off anyway. Originally I tried to figure out what to do with all the cotton "tails" and fluffs that come off the tree (of which we have several) and it wasn't til I went to cut a few trees down last fall ( with an ax--took several hours even for the smaller ones) that I thought they might be good for something other than decorative fencing--so I still have about 10 of them already cut ranging in size from 4-10 inches round and about 20-30 foot long. They do have a lovely smoothness to them under the bark, I can just see them now with a nice clear coat or maybe a stain to bring out that cappucino color, mightily crafted into the most beautiful lamp stands, picture frames, coat hookracks ever made ( I am one who practically salivates when I find shows like Yankee Workshop or This Old House on LOL)...now if I can get my hands to figure out how, it will be a miracle LOL :haha: Thanks for all the help, wood is a wonderful thing ain't it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.