Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
II Corinthians 5:7
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided to get rid of the few chickens we have left and stay only with ducks/geese for eggs since they're giving so many large eggs to us.

Have penned these chickens up for about 2 months already in hopes of their being tender after cooking.

Is there any other way to tenderize an old chicken?

·
Registered
44 Posts
We used to can our older chickens. It was so easy, and the meat was so tender and wonderful! We cut the chicken apart like you would to fry it and packed the pieces into wide mouth jars. I would have to look up the pressure and time for that, but it worked beautifully and we ended up canning as much chicken as we froze.

·
Registered
359 Posts
We decided to get rid of the few chickens we have left and stay only with ducks/geese for eggs since they're giving so many large eggs to us.

Have penned these chickens up for about 2 months already in hopes of their being tender after cooking.

Is there any other way to tenderize an old chicken?
I always canned the ones that got too old to lay eggs. Canning makes the meat so tender!

·
II Corinthians 5:7
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. Like the idea of canning better than letting it start to rot in fridge. At the moment I have it wrapped in foil slow-baking in oven at low temperature. Added a small amount of water and a bit of seasoning is all. Wasn't enough to pull out the canner for...

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Instant Pot is your friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts