Homesteading Forum banner

How to white wash a goat?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Goat Freak 
#1 ·
Hi everybody. We want to sell one of our bucks, and the only problem is is that he is REALLY filthy, he is a percentage boer, traditional, and he is almost completly yellow/brown from wallowing in his pee, and peeing on himself. He is out in a very large pasture, so we have NO idea how he got so dirty. Well before we sell him, my mother would like to make him more presentable. So does anyone have any idea how to get him at least mostly white again. By the way, we have tried giving him baths, scrubbing, scrapping, you name it and it does NOT work. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance. Bye.

#2 ·
I'm not sure if you have it there or not, but I buy a product called AWESOME. We get it at the Only $1 Store. It is a household cleaner, but it works great for bathing animals that are white. I have used it on my paint horses and I also use it on my goats. I know there are products that are sold to bathe white horses and animals in to brighten the white, but they are expensive. Just don't use bleach.

#4 ·
Just a word to the wise, the blueing works great on whites (use it all the time on laundry), but make sure you use ONLY the specified amount other wise your goat will have a ting of blue to him :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Starsmom said:
I'm not sure if you have it there or not, but I buy a product called AWESOME. We get it at the Only $1 Store. It is a household cleaner, but it works great for bathing animals that are white. I have used it on my paint horses and I also use it on my goats. I know there are products that are sold to bathe white horses and animals in to brighten the white, but they are expensive. Just don't use bleach.
You can get the blue dog shampoo in the pet aisle at Wal-Mart for $3.00 it is a Hartz brand dog shampoo. I have great luck with it on my show goats. Good Luck,
Dawn

#9 ·
Hmmmm...never use bleach...I have a friend who had her 2 shih tzu dogs in the woods for 2 and a half months...they were permanently muddied up and they stank to high heaven...she bathed them a few times in regular shampoo and trimmed all their hair but they still smelled and were "stained." Finally, she used a tbsp. of bleach in the bath. It did the trick and also killed the fleas left by the flea stuff she used! Not that I am recommending it or would use it on my dogs, but it didn't seem to hurt the dog, at least not in that amount.
Blessings, Jillis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.