How to wean kids?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, Mar 26, 2006.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Cold-turkey or gradually? Separate far apart or adjoining pens? Should the doe be milked a little or just leave her alone and observe the udder?
    Does teat tape work?
    :confused:

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I raise dairy and meat cross kids and milk only one of my does but do the same will all of them. If I am keeping the kids, I leave them on the dam and she will wean them on her own time. Ive had them go as long as six months on their dam until she took care of it, none the less for wear. It is absolutely nonstressful on the kid this way.
    If I am selling the kid, I wait until they are eating well and are at least 12 weeks old and take them away cold turkey the day they are sold. I know you can do it earlier but unless a buyer requests a younger kid, and none has for me, it is best to leave them.

3. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

I agree with Tango.I also watch the conditions of the doe,if she looks wore down then I would pull the kid off and that is that.We had a kid that nursed for a year and then the doe finally said that was enough.Also when you rebreed the doe back she will not let the kids nurse anymore.

4. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Thanks for the replies! I should have mentioned that the doe is a Nubian and her kids are part Boer wethers that are almost 3 months old. The doe was given to me about a month before she kidded. She was in poor condition then ans isn't getting any better in spite of aggressive de-worming and lots of good feed/hay. I have no idea how old she is but suspect she's a 'senior'. The kids are porkers though...must be good milk!
    I have separated them at night to start with, thinking I could do this gradually. The kids have a creep-stall and they sleep in there without the doe so I think it's time to just keep them apart.

5. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

I agree,I think weaning them now would be best for the doe.She should gain weight after you wean the kids off.Good luck..

6. T Lynn

T Lynn Well-Known Member

Watch the doe when you wean them. If she is nubian then remember she is a dairy goat and will continue to make the same amount of milk that the babies were taking. Look on her for post on how to dry up a doe. You might have to milk her if she gets too full.