Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay...I have my rabbits housed in a portable garage on dirt. I call it the tent.

The cold snap froze some of my pans to the ground (I have five pens that the litter falls straight through). I use pans to maintain ease of cleaning. They are frozen VERY securely.

SO...can't clean out those pans now.

Getting a bit of ammonia build up.

Wondering....how does one vent a portable garage. it's covered with a big tarp. I've considered opening up one end at the top, hubby says...that won't help with air flow and moving out the ammonia.

So I'm wondering...what cost-effective ways can I employ to air things out a bit? The buns are not suffering at this point, but I"m wanting to do something before things reach that point. :)

I've tried kicking the pans loose...got a sore toe.
I've tried the dumping hot water on things....that doesn't make matters any better.

Cannot remove large tarp at this point as we have a lovely lovely snow build up all around. and I did too good a job securing it after I lost it in the big bad blow back when we had it.

thoughts? hints?

·
Registered
611 Posts
When my barn starts to get smelly, i just open the big door and let some fresh air in and let some of the smelly air out. It would be a good job for your son, tell him he needs to Dance around and swoosh all the bad air out!

That helps for a few days anyway, it should make it all fresh!

Dose Jim have a heat gun? It would unfreeze those pans. Just point it at the bottum of them and in the matter of seconds it SHOULD come right out.

Could you try cleaning the pans out without taking them out? Just scrub all the stuff out and put some shavings in it?

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
I was going to say...un roll the bottoms abit to allow some aire to move around near the ground, so there wont be much of a draft on the cages...but! I forgot about the snow.

Other than that, you could put some lime down, it is a neutralizer, it a good disinfectent too, as long as no animals can get right to it, its kind of corrosive. It should be fine.

Sorry, not much help! I hope something works for you, or at least you get some good advice here.

Melissa

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
lime like OHG said, just watch getting it air born! not nice on the lungs! even wood ashes help, just make sure they have no live embers. you could use kitty litter too soak of the urine, there is a more expensive product called "barn dry". can you get the tarp loose at the top? once you do get the pans loose if you put down some strips of scrap wood (even branches will do) then put the pans on top of the strips so they don't freeze tight too the ground. a crow bar/wrecking bar or a round nose shovel and gently prying on the bottom of the pans may snap them off the ground, if you can clean the pans of as much of the material as possible, the pans may pop on their own, manure is an excellent insulator! have found ice in manure piles come sept that was there all summer! do not let any snow build up on the tarp! one collapsed on a Quebec girl last year and she did not survive!

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
Is there anyway to set up a fan? Could blow in or out, I have an industrial fan I use during the summer. Wouldn't have to run it for long, set it in the doorway. You could cover the pans with wood chips, it should absorb any wetness. You must have that place pretty tight, because the urine should be freezing and not really smelling all that badly.

Thought about it, I'd set the fan to pull the air out, even though a bit of a breeze for a short while wouldn't hurt them.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what makes it tight is all the snow build up! I have almost 5 feet of snow around the entire shelter. :) Can't open any doors as we've too much snow and it's well packed. It's helping to keep bunnies snuggly, but makes the venting more of an issue. Can't crowbar the pans since I'm using old plastic bottomed cages for the catch pans.

I'll see what hubby and I can hook up for a fan with maybe some old dryer hose (from the dryer vent). Perhaps that will work. Now...to find some sort of fan.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
what makes it tight is all the snow build up! I have almost 5 feet of snow around the entire shelter. :) Can't open any doors as we've too much snow and it's well packed. It's helping to keep bunnies snuggly, but makes the venting more of an issue. Can't crowbar the pans since I'm using old plastic bottomed cages for the catch pans.

I'll see what hubby and I can hook up for a fan with maybe some old dryer hose (from the dryer vent). Perhaps that will work. Now...to find some sort of fan.
open the door (or way of access) about 1 inch from top to bottom. I have the same problem with a shed (door opens inwards). the door latches with a hook and eye. I put an extr "eye" on the inside of the door frame and latcch the hook to that, it holds the door open about 1" and the only draft is on the floor. You need an opening top and bottom, but not much of one, it may take a couple of hours to completely air out..that is OK, once it gets aired out keep openings open only enough that the ordors don't build back up.
Openings preeferably should be on leeward side of structure.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
leeward is the down wind side right?

sorry...I"m just brain glitching for a bit.
that should be do able... maybe...it's all a bit hard to figure. do I dig through five feet of snow? Do I try to roll back the one end of the tarp and open up the other end a bit for three or four hours whenever we have a nice, not windy day. Be a lot of work...but if hubby helps once in a while makes it a bit easier...

Hmm....would be cheaper than trying to figure out the blower and dryer vent thing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts