How to treat painful heel?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Day before yesterday I hurt my heel. I think it's a blister, but I'm not sure. I wore my old worn out tennis shoes that I have been wearing every day for three years. The inside of the heels on the shoes has worn out and lost the padding. I wore a pair of thin socks, went on a couple walks with my hubby and noticed my shoe was rubbing my heel due to the thin socks.

Wore the same shoes yesterday with thicker socks and a band-aid. Didn't go on any walks, although I did go to the barn twice and worked in my garden.

Today I can barely walk on that foot. The back of my left heel is red, but not swollen. I think it may be a very deep blister. If not, I don't know what it is and have no clue how to treat it. I want this to go away quickly. Any suggestions? (Please don't tell me to throw away my most comfy favorite shoes!)

I usually do my grocery shopping on Sunday, but am not going today because I don't think I could walk around the darn store. :(

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) well Raven..LOL I take better care of the horses and dog's feet than you do of yours. Bad girl! LOL

I was having lots of foot trouble too and as I love to hike it was not something I could ignore. I strated getting "deep" soreness in the heel and sometimes in the ball of my foot and also the occasional blister.
    The Doc wanted to see what I wore for shoes, I took them into him and he told me to get some decent comfortable hiking boots, with good sturdy soles and side support. That was about four years ago, and I haven't had a sore foot since!

If you don't take care of your feet you are asking for trouble. Life is just too short to have sore feet! Toss your harmful footwear and use your head.

LQ

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

As LQ said, you need to invest in a good pair of shoes. They don't have to be top-of-the-line, but they ARE an investment in your feeling good overall -- feet, back, EVERY part of you! I had heel spurs/plantar fasciitis for a while, and that was no picnic. Ill-fitting shoes did not help, and only exacerbated my back problems: I was compensating for the pain by the way I walked, and it translated into me feeling poorly overall.

For the soreness you're having right now, you might benefit from a nice hot epsom salt soak. Dry your feet well, apply a good lotion (something with peppermint oil is SO refreshing), massage 'em till they feel better. Then, put on some clean socks. This is a good thing to do right before bed, too.

Happy thoughts that you'll soon have happy feet!

Pony!

4. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I am not sure if you have BIG 5 stores up there, but they usually have great sales on lightweight hiking type boots.
    Jodi

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I have good hiking boots. I've been through the heel spur pain when I worked at the Post Office and the doc told me to get rid of the tennis shoes and get some hiking boots with support. It was like a miracle cure.

This isn't the same thing though. I know that my worn out shoe rubbed the back of my heel. I still don't want to get rid of these shoes though. They are so comfortable on my toes. I just need to figure out a way to fix the back of the shoe and to remember to wear thicker socks with them.

I'm so lazy I hate to take the time to lace up my hiking boots. These old tennies I can just slip on and go. :rolleyes:

The back of my heel is still red and hot, but not as painful as yesterday. I'm going to try the Epsom Salt soak tonight.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Guess I'll have to take time to put on my hiking boots next time I go for a walk with hubby.