How to trap/catch/kill a weasel?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Maggie, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

We lost our mama rabbit and her 7 two-week old bunnies over the past 2 days to a weasel(we think). My hubby and son have set out 2 rat traps and a live trap with round steak for bait. Do you all think this will catch/kill it? No biters as of early this morning :shrug: . Any further ideas will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks and have a great day, Maggie

2. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

3. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I would go with a conibear over a rat trap, just in case it's a mink.

4. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

I don't know if there are any left in the archives, but go onto the poultry forum and check out how to catch a weasel/mink. Excellent advice and I was able to catch the mink that was bothering my critters from it.
    corry

5. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

For the coons and possums, I dig a hole the size of a coffee cup and put the bait [ marshmellows] in the hole. Then I set the cage trap on top of the hole.This works for me. I don,t have any weasels.

6. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

We still didn't get the 'weasel.' I haven't been sleeping too well thinking about that little creep slithering around in the pole barn at night :grump: . DH and DS have been putting fresh raw meat out on the traps every night. It sure keeps me wondering where he is!!
    Have a great day, Maggie

7. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I have both weasels and mink. The weasels will wipe out my baby rabbits but will usually leave the larger ones (Satins) alone. The mink will kill everything!