How to tell when goat is in heat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by PrettyPaisley, Jun 30, 2011.

1. PrettyPaisley

PrettyPaisley Well-Known Member

I'm sure that is not what you call it in the goat world- but go easy on me. I'm still new. ;)

Last year I left Millie with the breeder for about 3 weeks and the family was ready to hang me. I don't want to do that this year. And since we only have does now I don't have the luxury of a male to sniff around and tip me off.

How do I start tracking this? Do I just stay with her for an hour or so each day and watch for tail flickering?

And now I have the task of finding a Saanen buck that is close ....

2. Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae Well-Known Member

PrettyPaisley,

I call it being in heat too, but if there is a goat tech term,
    I am not aware of it, so that works for me.

I can always tell when our girl's are in heat as they are able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and walk straight up a fence, lol

(but we do have wethers and buck's who also tip us off with their special grooming habits)....

3. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis A & N Lazy Pond Farm Supporter

You could always see if the breeder would make you a "buck rag". When your girl is in heat she will pay a lot of attention to that rag. Then you could mark the days on your calendar.
    Nancy

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

When a buck is in rut, the breeder can make a buck rag for you by rubbing a rag over his head and front legs where he is most fragrant. Then the rag is put in a glass jar with a tight lid. Let the girls sniff it each morning. The changes in their behavior and interest in stinky rags will indicate when they are starting to come in heat.

5. CraterCove

CraterCove Well-Known Member

I remember playing a computer game in which to tame and ride one of the alien creatures in an alternate dimension you had to have a stinky rag soaked in their mother's sweat.

Next time Mr. Kidd has 'perfumed' himself I am going to make me a buck rag. Why haven't I read about this nifty little trick? It's such a great idea and will make it so much easier to track my girls than inspecting vulva's. :p

6. CarolynRenee

CarolynRenee Well-Known Member

My does are pretty easy to tell when they are in heat. The Saanens behinds are normally pink, but when they are in heat it's a little brighter pink & a little bit "puffier" back there. There may also be a little bit of white discharge, harder to see on a light-colored behind though. But my black nigerian mix had a black behind & the discharge was easy to spot, although I couldn't tell if the color changed because the skin was too dark.

Also, two of my Saanens WILL NOT shut up when they are in heat. The other two are quite, but there is a lot of tail flapping & tails held erect.

Best to start looking for signs a few month earlier & then marking the dates down so you can really focus on them when you think their next cycle is coming up.

I've never had to use a buck rag, although I'm sure that will help a lot.