How to tell if whole wheat has gone bad?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by renabeth, Dec 19, 2004.

1. renabeth

renabeth Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if any one of you knew how to tell it whole wheat is too old to use. I have fallen out of the habit of grinding my own flour and my new year's resolution is to start grinding again. Anyway, I have a half a five gallon bucket of Wheat Montana Prairie Gold Wheat that has been opened at least a year and I was wondering if it is still okay to use. It is dry and does not have a bad smell. The kernals look as it they may have shrunk a little and I noticed about 10 greenish kernals in about 8 cups of wheat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Beth

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

might be a fungus...grain fungus=bad.

if you go on a bad acid like trip after a slice of toast, its bad. lol

3. renabeth

:haha: So what your really saying is "I should only eat the green ones" Right? :haha:

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It is common for wheat that old to get weavels. Pour it out and see if there is any meal in the bottom of the bucket. If the grains look ok they probably are.

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Wheat does not go bad unless it gets wet. In the tombs of the Pharoahs in Egypt they found kernels of wheat that had been sealed in with them and they sprouted when planted. The green ones were most likely there when the bucket was filled and hurt nothing.....just immature. In you sealed bucket I would doubt that you got weavels, but it is possible if not sealed well. I have some buckets that are 15 years old (we were super preppers) that I am just now using and they are fine.

In pioneer days the weavels were just ground up with the wheat as added protein as noone could afford to dump their wheat just because of a few weavels. :)

6. Deena in GA

Deena in GA Well-Known Member

I agree, wheat doesn't go bad if stored dry. The wheat I'm currently using is 6 - 7 years old. I occasionally have a green kernel, but it's nothing - just immature as stated above. I've never had weevils or anything get in my wheat, but I suppose it can happen.

7. renabeth

Thanks a bunch everyone.
    I think ya'll are right that it is safe to eat. I just needed to hear it from somebody else :) I have my bread rising right now and it should be ready by lunch. Yum
    Thanks again.
    Beth