How to tell if rabbit is pregnant?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by AtHomeDaughter, May 14, 2006.

1. AtHomeDaughter

AtHomeDaughter Well-Known Member

How would I tell if my rabbit is pregnant? We purchased a 1 yr old female lop from a feed store (had a male already) last week. She won't take to her new hubby. (Growled at him today and bit him...yesterday she hid in the corner and acted mad and not receptive.) Is it possible she is pregnant? :shrug:

Also what size nesting box (when she is preg. if she isn't)? Does anyone bring in their bunny b4 she kindles for delivery (and a week or 2 after)? I am worried about the heat (was told by a friend it got index of 120 down here last summer). If you do bring the doe in, when and what do u keep her in? (I was thinking a norm. bunny indoor cage, with a nesting box?) Also, was wondering (read too many sad posts) what if the bunny isn't feeding the babies? Can ya bottle feed them? :)

Thanks for answering my ?s

2. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

I hope you have better luck than I have had with one of my females - in six months she's bred twice, and had no kits either time...I knew she was "old" when someone gave her to me, but since she's a large nzw cross, I thought she'd add some more genes to my herd so I won't be inbreeding so soon

I had another doe years ago that refused to re-breed after she had a miscarriage...and I'm sure there's other reasons why a doe won't breed...

But on the other hand, I have one doe that will breed when she's pregnant, and I found out (sadly) that she will even conceive a second litter when she's rebred while pregnant - she miscarried and half of the litter was much younger than the others...

I read (here and in books) that some people have had success in bottle feeding, but every kit I've tried to bottle feed has died...the ones that have lived have been when I could get help from the mother doe (we had one doe that had fourteen kits and we saved thirteen of them by leaving only eight in the nest for her to nurse each day, and supplementing the kits that were removed with water or diluted canned milk from an eye dropper...we removed the largest kits that had been fed the previous day, and replaced them with our dropper-fed kits (the one that died was a runt, so he might have died no matter what happened)

I recently had a doe who wouldn't nurse, so I held her still once a day so the kits could nurse, and after five days of this, she was willing to do it without my holding her still

3. AtHomeDaughter

AtHomeDaughter Well-Known Member

I have a pregnancy ?...

I was watching my bunny today. She was sprawled out relaxin' (paws in front and feet stretched out behind her). I seen her heart beating and every minute or 2 also seen waves (below ribcage) on the right side (and once on left). Does this mean babies? (like in a human mommy when they get near due?) I also watched my boy rabbit and he had no movement like that (just heart beat....thought maybe it was there belly digesting). Anybody see this in there preg. doe? :shrug:
    We called the farm store we got her from and they said they got her a day or 2 b4 easter and she was not with any other bunnies while at there store (but they said may be she was preg. b4 they got her). (which would put her due this week) I put a lot of hay in the back of her hutch (and she made what looked like a bowl out of the hay). Then I put a nest box my brother and I made and she used it for a potty (took it out cause I don't like her pottying in her hutch and figure if she has babies, I can put them in the nest box afterwards, perhaps??) I also put her under a lean-to and fenced it off so our dog wouldn't go sniffing her cage (and moved the buck's hutch far away from her's)
    Anyone have any thoughts? :help:
    Thanks!!