Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my californian doe had her first litter of 6 kits on Sunday. Unfortunately she had them on the wire. I scoped them up and put them in the nest box with all the fur she pulled. However, how can I tell if she is nursing them? I haven't seen her in with them, but then I'm not standing over her 24/7. Is there any way to be sure? I don't want them to slowly starve to death. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Liz in NH

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
their tummys are round and full! :)

The doe only nurses them once a day for about 5 minutes. The only way to watch her is to pull the nesting box and give it to her once a day. Within 20 minutes or so she will jump in and nurse them.

This is where an in box video camera comes in handy!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Kits that are not getting fed start to look like deflated balloons, and get wash board looking wrinkles as if they are shrinking in their skin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We had the same experience when we first got rabbits - it took a while before we caught them nursing. Having nursed a baby myself I found this very unusual . . . As our buns got bigger and fatter we guessed they must be getting fed, and occasionally one would be out of the box - pulled out when the mom hopped out. Rabbits just have a weird nursing pattern.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts