How to tell if doe is pregnant

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lilredhen, Feb 19, 2005.

1. lilredhen

lilredhen Well-Known Member

There must be some way to tell if a doe is pregnant. I bred my doe very late - beg of Jan. I have succesfully bred other does this late and even later. But if it was her last cycle of the season, her lack of estrus doesn't tell me anything. can a human pregnancy test be used on a goat? Will anyone admit it if they'd tried it? any other ideas?

2. Cheri

Cheri Member

Human pregnancy tests dont work. No I have not tried it, but if you do a search there is a thread about it. Do you have a buck on your property? I bred a couple does in mid January and I'm quite certain they are bred. Late breeding, but they just didn't make weight until then (late kids themselves) and I don't need a bunch of dry yearlings costing me a ton of feed LOL.

I have a question tho...if you've successfully bred later than this, then why would you think she is not bred?

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

wait 21 to 23 days, and walk the buck by her, if she doesn't flag, and go crazy, she is caught. I have one doe that sometime breeds in may. it isn't to late. depends on the doe.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

best way to tell if you have to know for sure if doe is pregnant or not is to make a blood test. cost about $15 and can be done trough biotrack. pregnancy test for human doesn't work. if you go back couple of days there was a thread about the pooch test maybe you can find it helpful?
    susanne

5. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I am sure my does are all pregnant only because I have the buck in with them still. He has been with them sense October and for a while he stunk so bad I hated to get near the pen. Now he is his old sweet self. No smell at all.
    Two of them are getting very large and they are not due till the middle of March. The other three are not showing much at all. The one that is old and had triplets last year is not very big at all and she is due first. I sure hope she gives me a doe. She is rounded underneath. That is one way I know. When they are not pregnant their bellies are flat. The sides sticking out may only mean they are full of brush.

6. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Was hoping some else would respond with this but here I go. I read about this method on another forum. Look at the bred doe's behind. Under the tail is the anal opening where the pellets fall from. Below that opening is the vulva from which the doe urinates and gives birth. The vulva opening develops into a long slit soon after she becomes pregnant. If I remember correctly, the slit becomes longer the farther she is into the pregnancy. Check out a non-pregnant doe or a very pregnant one and the questionable pregnant one to compare the vulva area. Now isn't this fun? Thought you all would appreciate the "details".

Nappy

7. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Blood tests work, but I don't know how to draw blood so it's a $45 callout from the vet. (I really should learn I guess).

Since I would have to have a vet come, I figure the ultrasound is easiest. $35 for the first goat, and a few buck for everyone after that. Can tell you if it's twins, etc.

I hope it works anyways, I have one goat the ultrasound said is pregnant, she's due any day now, I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

8. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i visited a gal last weekend who is breeding nubians. she had a doe there for breeding for a 4-H family. after breeding they went to a vet to confirm the pregnancy through ultra sound. vet said she is not pregnant and since this family wanted her pregnant the breeder used luteliase (spell?) to bring her in heat. guess what. she aborted twins.
    so i would not go with ultra sound :no:
    wait and see or do blood test.
    susanne

9. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

susanne- I heard a similar story at the MN Goat Conf. A commercial dairy had gotten a vet out to ultrasound their whole herd that was AI'ed. They'd always used bucks, this was their first AI season & so the first with ultrasound.
    The ultrasound showed that EVERY alpine breed doe was bred and EVERY Nubian doe was open.
    They couldn't believe that, and ended up ultrasounding one Nubian's entire abdomen. The fetuses showed up much higher and further forward than all the alpine breed does. And every Nubian was pregnant.

Nonscientific, but- my does started little personality changes when they were about a week along. The calm one became terrified of the barn cat, the irritable kicky ones wants to be petted constantly, and the doeling That Will Not Shut Up, did.
    The buck also stopped peeing on himself and giving me the evil eye.

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how it works with most things goat. You test is going to only be as accurate as the reader of it. So if your ultrasound reader doesn't do lots of goats it's simply a waste of money.

I also blood test questionable goats, you can also use milk if they are still in milk, which dairy goats should be if early bred. So that makes it simple.

I'm lucky I have Nubians, big ole loud mouthed Nubians. Anyone within 100 acres knows when a doe is in heat, she is screaming for the bucks. Anyone in the barn knows she is bred because she lays down and sings to her babies (moan moan moan moan) even when early bred. And everyone in town knows when she is kidding because they are very loud when pushing, everything is quite dramatic :) Vicki

11. lilredhen

lilredhen Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you all for your help. I used to have Nubians and it was so easy to tell when they were in heat. This one is a La Mancha which is much more subtle about it. I'm glad someone mentioned the personality changes because she has become very shy since she was with the buck, and in fact swithched "positions" with my other doe, who is now queen. Between that and the vulva thing, I believe she is pregnant!

12. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

I found the site explaining the "pooch" test which is what I was trying to describe earlier for determining if a doe is pregnant. All my does ARE pregnant and due within the next 4 to 6 weeks so I can't compare non-pregnant with pregnant does. It doesn't sound scientific but appears to be more than an old wive's tale. Read and form your own opinion. http://www.happytailzfarm.com/pooch_test_2.htm

:)

Nappy

13. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

This is so cool! I can hardly wait for morning to go check all my does' butts :haha:

A couple of my does were not in standing heat, but I think the bucks got them. I was thinking about drawing blood for testing, and then I read about another method to preg check that sounded doable.

Using an AI speculum and light, you're supposed to look at the cervix. If there is a greyish-yellow plug in the cervix, that's the corpus luteum and your doe is pregnant. It's listed as a way to check before repeating AI, so that you don't rebreed and dislodge the plug, causing an abortion. It would be interesting to check the pooch test and then compare it with the speculum test. :)

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

the best way to tell, is just to wait. why put your does through all that stress, just so you know,. .wiat, if she comes back in heat, she didn't settle.
    I would not leave my buck in with my does, and here is why, a buck will rape a gal, who is preggers, because her hormones change, and he can smell it, and if he mounts her, it can cause to to absorb, or miscarry.
    I always take my girls to my buck. for a date in a stall in the barn. The first sign of standing heat. she stays for 24 hours. and most every time she is caught. once in a while, Iwil have one not settle, then she gets a second date.