How to tell a rabbits age.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by awfulestes, Apr 26, 2006.

1. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Just wonder how to tell a rabbits age. Is there some way to guess? How do you estimate the age?

2. awfulestes

So nobody actually knows when they are buying older rabbits ? I have one and she seems older than the people said she was.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i have NO idea, i would assume it would be a guestamate judging by animal size (for the breed) condition, if the teeth are still in good condition, but i still dont know lol

4. awfulestes

Thanks. She looks pretty good .

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I have been told by vets that there's no way at all to tell. I was kind of hoping someone would post here and prove 'em all wrong. :(

6. Arklady

Arklady Well-Known Member

Probably the only true way to have correct age detection would be to tatoo their birth date in their ear. Heck we don't even know how long they live lol...

Arklady

7. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

You can usually tell some generalities, such as:

How long and thick are the nails? Do they appear to have ever been clipped? Most rabbits don't require clipping nails before 5 or 6 months of age. The nails will also thicken as they get older.

On *most* breeds, is the doe sporting a dewlap? None, Very small, medium or large and sagging? The larger the dewlap, the older the rabbit. None would be below 3 months of age and very small would be up to 6 months of age.

For bucks, are the testicles evident? None, small and tight, medium or large and sagging? Same as for the dewlaps.

For Rex rabbits, do the does sport a "skirt" (a roll of skin/fur which gathers on the floor when posed). The skin and dewlaps tend to "sag" as they get older (over 2 years of age).

That's about the best we can do.

As for how long they live, the smaller the breed, the faster they mature so it will definitely vary accordingly. 8 to 12 years is what I usually go by and with the smaller breeds on the short end, but this is *ONLY* with ideal conditions, too! The oldest rabbit I ever heard of was a New Zealand Red who lived to 17 years of age. 12 to 14 years of age is also not uncommon.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

8. awfulestes

Lucey must be really old then. The dewlap is very wide and sags. I cut about an inch of very thick killer nails off. She is supposed to be a new Zealand red and she is very large with extra loose skin.I can say She has very good teeth that will go right through a favorite denim shirt and chicken wire ( the teeth are fine). Here is her mug shot and it is the best I could get with her.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/awfulestes/Picture017.jpg

9. KSALguy

are you going to breed her? she looks like a decent doe, you dont have a NZR buck for her do you? too bad your in arkansas lol i wouldnt mind some of her babies lol

10. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Is the photo color a little off, or is she redder than that? I've only had one NZR, and here is his photo. He was really very red. Is that usual or unusual?

[​IMG]

He is looking at his artwork - he wasn't the brightest fella in the world, but he turned out to be artistically gifted! ;)

11. awfulestes

No I don't have a nz red buck. This doe was bred to a mixed polamino buck because he was all I could find to match her. I bred her twice and she only had five. 1 is a little runt and may die. Story goes like this-- I got her from someone that got her from a really old lady that had the doe a really long time and got lots and lots of babies from her. The first someone didn't tell me the whole story until after I had her for 2 months and bred her. At first they led me to believe she was around a year old. But you know how it goes after you listen for awhile they change the story or slip up. They said the doe would not breed for them and now they said last time the doe only had 4 babies. I will not complain because she was free and her babies may be the greatest rabbits that ever lived.

12. awfulestes

I don't know if she is a nzr . It is what I was told and she looks just like my white one. I believe her color has faded from eating allgrain for only God knows how long. I also think it has faded from age. The more I talk with the previous owners the older this doe gets. A doe from this old girl may be worth my time and trouble. If her age is so up there she is very disease resistant and very adaptable.

13. KSALguy

well if she is still produceing (even smaller litters due to age) this long you would be well worth it to save some doelings from her, have nice longevity and good helth bred into them

14. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we have a breeding pair you are welcome to come over anytime and put yours in his cage for a bitt he knows his job

15. awfulestes

How about I throw her in a cage at your house and forget where I left her. LOL.